Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

chambering by hand 6.5x47mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 PM

chambering by hand 6.5x47mm

Im wanting to build a 6.5x47mm in remington700..my plans are to get a 6.5x47mm short chambered barrel and install it using with a comp recoil lug then by hand finish cutting chamber with a reamer and tee handle working slow and keeping it clean of course and checking with my headspace gauge..doing it this way means i want have to cut the shoulder of barrel on a lathe as long as the comp recoil lug doesn't mess up my short chamber throwing my barrel to far forward and i have never cut a chamber before so im looking for some input from someone with knowledge and have done this before..i plan to true the bolt lugs and action prior to barrel install and my worries are about chatter during cutting the chamber and the chamber being thrown to far forward by the recoil lug..I've trued actions and bolt lug before and crowned muzzles all by hand but this is a big step and not a cheap mistake if i mess up..any input I would be greatful for..I know I could go to gunsmith with a lathe but this is something i want to do and learn.. Thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 04:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: chambering by hand 6.5x47mm

I haven't done this yet myself, I think is goes, lap the lugs, install/time the barrel (I don't think timing is critical unless there is an extractor cut, gas port, or frontsight dovetail slot), then finish cut the chamber 'till the headspace is correct, in relation to the face of the bolt.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:32 AM
Gold Member

If you don't have a lathe, how are you going to true the action?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:40 AM

Using the Mason precision receiver accurizing system but brownells has a receiver face cutter for truing the face by hand also
Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Gold Member

I do all of my chambering by hand, using a "finish" reamer, after "short" chambering on lathe. If I can , I use a BERGARA bbl if available in cal. I want.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Cet this crazy idea out of your head right now. You are going into a colasal waste of money. 1st your going to true the reciever threads and face with out truing the bolt, why even bother, the reamer and tap procedure is not as good as single point truing, I have proven that to myself. Why spend $300+ for tooling and only have the job done part way.

So now that you cut your threads oversize, your going to screw on a barrel that will have a thread fit that is .010+ undersize, How is that going to help your accuracy?

Your whole process is flawed now with a thicker lug you will definatly have to set the shoulder back in a lathe so the bolt nose counterbore actually comntains the bolt nose, headspace don't mean **** if you have .050-.100" of unsuported case waiting to blow out into your face.

Your asking for advice on somthing you don't have much knowledge on.
Save your money and and take your action and barrel to a smith and have it done right, before you hurt yourself or someone else.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Jim,

You're brutal.......spot on! but still brutal. Your advice to others has kept me from doing quite a few iffy things........