Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

chamber chroming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

chamber chroming

Does anyone know of a place that chromes chambers? I bought a Rem 7400 and it appears someone got a little too aggressive in cleaning a bellied the chamber about .003.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: chamber chroming

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsupermatch View Post
Does anyone know of a place that chromes chambers? I bought a Rem 7400 and it appears someone got a little too aggressive in cleaning a bellied the chamber about .003.
Chrome lining the chamber will not take out the belly, It will only apply about .001 Thousandths to the whole
chamber and cost a ton.

Depending on the caliber, The best thing to do to a semi auto it to re chamber to an AI version
of the cartridge.

This will straighten out the chamber walls and increase powder volume and performance.

If it were a bolt action I would recommend setting the shoulder back 1 full thread and cleaning the chamber up and back to spec.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks. Would you know of a gunsmith who could cut the chamber to the 3006 AI? That sound like a option that would work for me.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsupermatch View Post
Thanks. Would you know of a gunsmith who could cut the chamber to the 3006 AI? That sound like a option that would work for me.
Any good gunsmith can do this for you if you have one near you, talk to him about it. If not there are several good ones that are sponsors on this site that you could send it to.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 PM
SPONSOR

Your Rem 7400 cannot be re-chambered for the A.I. version. Ackley Improved has a shorter headspace dimention than the parent cartridge.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Is this a factory barrel? Not sure I would invest any $$$ on a factory barrel. I would be more inclined to rebarrel with a good quality after market barrel.

If you want to keep the barrel, I would think setting it back about a 1/4" to !/2" would take care of the belly.

Definitely get it bore scoped before you spend anything on it.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Is this a factory barrel? Not sure I would invest any $$$ on a factory barrel. I would be more inclined to rebarrel with a good quality after market barrel.

If you want to keep the barrel, I would think setting it back about a 1/4" to !/2" would take care of the belly.

Definitely get it bore scoped before you spend anything on it.
I would agree with you 100% if it were a screw in barrel with the recoil lugs in the receiver But
The 7400 Remington is an automatic and has the recoil lugs machined into the barrel. re barreling with a custom barrel would be very expensive so In my opinion the best way to fix the problem
would be to enlarge the chamber to an AI or replace it with a new factory barrel.

I don't know how much a factory barrel will cost and it would probably have to be sent to Remington
to be installed and head spaced.

Just a comment for what it's worth.

J E CUSTOM