Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Cerakoting fluted barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

Cerakoting fluted barrels

I've been cerakoting a few of my rifles,so far just unfluted barrels. Now I want to coat one of my rifles that is fluted and I want to make the flutes a different color. I've been tring to figure out how to go about that. Right now I have two thoughts, first is to fill the flutes with clay spray the barrel, strip out the clay and then tape off the barrel and spray the flutes. I'm just concerned that when I bake it the clay will contaminate the coating. My other thought is to spray the whole barrel bake it, the tape off the ridges bead blast the flutes and then coat the flutes. If anybody has any other ideas or has done this I would apprieciate some advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cerakoting fluted barrels

I 'painted' the flutes a one color.

Masked the flutes with very narrow masking tape. Did as good of a trim job that was as good as possible for me.

Then painted the rest of the barrel.

Removed the tape from the flutes

Didn't like the results at all.

Edges were good in some places and horrible in others.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:17 AM
SPONSOR

I paint the entire barrel the color of the O.D. I use air cure, so I let it cure a few days then use 1/8" pin strip for masking the edges of the flutes. The hardest to make look right is the ends of the flutes. I then cover anything I don't want painted the color of the flutes and paint the flutes. I only let it air cure about an hour then remove the pin strip and let air cure for a few more days. Your finish product will result in how well your prep work is. Be warned it's not fun, but makes some cool looking results.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 04-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Bronze Member

Kevin,

Is the air cure as durable as the oven cure cerakote?
Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 AM
SPONSOR

I don't have an oven big enough for barrels, but I can tell you that air cured Cerakote is some tough stuff. I Cerakoted a fluted barrel a while ago that was just having the flutes blackened. I let the barrel sit for a few weeks before I got time to sand the O.D. off leaving the flutes black. I had a hard time sanding through the Cerakote with 80 grit. I don't believe there much of a durability difference between air cure and oven cure Cerakote. I believe the oven cure just speeds up the curing time.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 04-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cram View Post
Your finish product will result in how well your prep work is. That's where I screwed up. Patience and care on the ends of the flutes drove me nuts.* Be warned it's not fun, but makes some cool looking results.
* that's why I'll never be a machinist. But if I program the machine and take me out of the picture (keep my hands out of the process) things go better. However, the human in the process is what makes it all work well. I bow to folks like you, Kevin and send you money in appreciation.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

I paint the entire barrel and action, then bake. After cooling, tape off the barrel with the thin tan masking tape. The blue tape works, but is much thicker and will not give you as clean cut lines as the thinner tape. I then take a 3/4in steel ballbearing and start rolling it back and forth down the flute with pressure. You can also use a marbel. Start in the middle of the flute and work to the ends while lifting the cut tape out. The lines are cut exactly on the corners and clean every time. I do occasionally clean up the end of a flute with an exacto knife. You will be surprised at how little time it takes! Then go back and paint your flutes and bake. I have sprayed at least 40+ barrels this way and it works perfect every time, many happy customers. I also do this with fluted bolts with the same ease. Only takes a few minutes.

I only use air cure cerakote on something I cannot bake, and is not nearly as hard as the cerakote with the hardener that requires heat to cure. The air cure is definitely much harder than duracoat though, and is sufficient if you don't have an oven.

Last edited by elkoholic72; 04-22-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added