Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Cerakote Oven

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 03:42 PM

Cerakote Oven

It seems most people are building their own ovens, but if one were to buy one who would you recommend to buy from. Keep in mind, this would be for barreled actions.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: Cerakote Oven

I have not seen one for sale and if they are would guess they would be pricey. I would guess $2500 up. I have been wanting to build one as well just have not seen anything that I would like. And the local tin guys are so busy I cant get them to bend me anything up.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 PM

You're absolutely right, I have found a couple but they are very pricy when you consider that you could build one for a fraction of the cost. My challenge is that I'm just not an electronics type of guy so I would probably get off on the wrong foot to begin with.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Gold Member

My friend bought a tall stainless propane smoker and does barreled actions when the pork butt isn't cooking.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

I am an electronics guy and could make a run of temp controllers for these ovens if we could get a few guys interested in buying one.

Could get a heating element (not sure which one) and have precise temp control.

Someone else would have to make the enclosure but would be fairly simple to build the controllers.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 PM
SPONSOR

A control for an electric range works! No need at all to over complicate. All it takes is the control and a thermal couple, of course you'd need a heating element and the insulated encloser and an independent thermometer (digital meat thermometer for $15 at WalMart)
Old 08-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

I did a bit of research and it seems that it's not very temp sensitive so pretty much anything that can heat your enclosure to 200 degrees will work. Walmart has on sale an electric skillet that may work for a smaller oven. Just make sure you put a fan in there to circulate heat. IMO if you would heat it prior and get a fairly consistent temp then bake your golden. Just might take some fooling around with it and if your only doing it on occasion then the extra time is cheaper than a fancy control