Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Case exploded today !!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

Case exploded today !!

First of all I will start off by saying ALWAYS were eye and ear protection when shooting 100% of the time!!! ( As we all do).

I was shooting in a varmint match today and just got done firing the 600 yd. bank of steel targets. So far all is well the Hornady 75 gr. match ammo. I was using. We then started on the 500 yd string, as I was two rounds into this string and fired on the third shot - BOOM..I was blasted in the face with powder and brass particles. Hoping I was not seriously injured, my spotter who was my shooting partner for the day checked me over and told me I had a few puntcure wounds and a trickle of blood from each hole. Wow was I relieved this is all that I received along with powder burns from this case explosion.

The empty case would not extract from the chamber so it had to be removed with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. As you can see by the pictures to the extractor my shooting day was over at this point. Primer was never found.

Can anyone tell me why this case failed?
Also if you have any ammo from this lot number this is a caution to you.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

Re: Case exploded today !!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Silver Member

I don't know about you but if it was me hornady would know about this by now i don't care if it is a sunday. I had a freind shooting black hills gold ammo that the head separated from the rest of the case. I hope hornady makes thing right.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Wow. Glad you are OK.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

Luckily you were not seriously hurt, definately contact Hornady. I am sure they will be very interested in talking to you. Keep us posted as to how you make out.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:18 AM
Gold Member

I have shot hundreds of rounds of the Black Hills red and blue box with zero issues. The first 50 round box of this stuff performed flawlessly and the failure occurred with the first shot of the second box
Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Gold Member

Hornady as with any commercial ammunition manufacturer is interested in the quality of their products. I think they will be very very interested to see what happened.

As stated, I'd send them the case with a carefully written letter stating the facts. Offer point of contact information for any others who witnessed the event.

I'd ask them to also absorb the cost of repairing your rifle. I'd have a quote done up by a smith that you trust.

Ok, now the real question. Did you still hit the target??

Glad your ok!

Chad