Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Carbon Fiber wrapped barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Carbon Fiber wrapped barrel

I lost what little interest I had when the 'wrapper' guaranteed 1" groups at 100yds. I'm used to better than that.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Carbon Fiber wrapped barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfrobert View Post
I am building a long range bolt action hunting rifle based off a REM 700 action, chambered in 300 RUM. I have a JAE stock and nightforce optics, but currently am using the stock REM SPS barrel. I am looking to upgrade the barrel to 28-30in barrel so I can truly reach out and touch something. I am looking for an outstanding barrel, preferably carbon wrapped to increase strength and reduce weight as it is already a heavy rifle. I am new to piecing rifles together so i am looking for any recommendations as well as gunsmithing options/pricing.

I do not recomend them ether.

It is just another element that can cause problems.

There are other ways to save weight without sacrificing accuracy potential.

You are using one of the heaviest scopes on the market and it is a very good one,but
there are other good ones that don't weigh near as much (Some are as much as 2 pounds
lighter).

If weight is a problem spend the money on Carbon Graphite stocks and scopes under 2 pounds.

I personally like the advantage of a heaver barrel and rifle combination. They are more consistant,
heavy barrels are more forgiving to different loads and the heaver rifles are a steadier platform to
shoot from especally at long distances.

My mountain rifle (Elk Hunting) weighs 13.5 pounds and is worth the extra Carry weight when
making offhand shots or in windy conditions.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM