Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Can't get the barrel off my M700. Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Can't get the barrel off my M700. Help!

I've got a custom rifle project that's been three years in the making already, and I finally have the last of my parts on the way now, so I decided it was time to remove the old factory barrel, but it won't come off!

I've clamped it as tight as I can in my barrel vise, but it just doesn't want to stay put. The barrel on the gun starts tapering about 1/4" after the action face, so there is no parallel surface to get a solid grip on with the vise. I tried wrapping it in tape and paper, using wood and hard rubber clamping blocks, but it just won't hold still!

Can anyone help me?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Gold Member

Re: Can't get the barrel off my M700. Help!

Whats an M700 ? The NSS receiver wrench uses a bolt into the forward action screw hole to 100% absolutely prevent any movement of the wrench on the action. For the barrel, if it tapers, you need barrel blocks with a matching tapered hole ! The set I got for assembling my FN FAL is made like that. You put the aluminum block on the small end of the barrel and slide it rearward until the tapers match, then you line up the second one and clamp them up. Rosin is used between plates and barrel to prevent slippage.

It sounds like you don't have the right tools for the job.

Read this page Barrel Vise Use

If you call him up, I am pretty sure he can custom make you a pair of blocks for your specific barrel diameter/taper.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:17 PM

I use oak blocks in my vice, drilled out to around the smaller diameter of the bbl shank, the thicker part of the shank pushes the wood out for a good fit. I then use rosin to hold the bbl secure in the blocks, wont hold without the rosin (pine tar). Heard of people using icing sugar instead of rosin.

A bit of heat on the action at the threads can help with newer Remingtons due to the white crap they put on the threads. Obviously don't heat the action so much you ruin the hardness with a torch. Just needs to be hot to the touch but not burn your hand hot. Heat gun would work.

I'm not a smith just a hobbyist. Someone else might have better advice.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Tape, paper, rubber -- whatever. Nothing bites steel better than aluminum. Put an aluminum shim in there.

Now how tight do you have your action wrench tightened up? It doesn't take much pressure at all to crush it down so tight on the barrel threads it will not come off. I just tighten them up with the allen wrench to snug. (25 foot pounds tops) Then 1 or 2 bops with a steel 2 pound on the 12" handle has knocked every Remington right apart.

If your looking for kicks try breaking down a new Vangard. That's 8 pound "hammer" time!

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Hired Gun, won't the aluminum mar the barrel? Albeit the finish already came off in a few spots even with the wooden blocks (thanks to Remington's lovely powdercoat), but I don't wanna make it worse if I don't have to.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Gold Member

Whats the original barrel worth ? Blued finish ? Read that page I gave the link for. That was on a parkerized barrel and they have pictures. If fact they remove the receiver stub from a demilled receiver and then torque it onto a new receiver so it gets used twice.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:27 AM
GNERGY

They put red loctite on the threads from the factory. I use a heat gun or a hair dryer on the action till you see the loctite thru the scope screw holes turning white, it could take a while, don't worry you won't get it too hot with either method. The factory barrel is worth maybe 50 bucks, you could use a pipe wrench on the barrel or pay a local gunsmith 20 bucks to take it off for you. A big crescent wrench on the locking lug turning it at the same time will help also.
They can be a B$TCH to remove.
Tarey