Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Can gunsmiths get parts quicker?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Bronze Member

Can gunsmiths get parts quicker?

I am a profesional mechanic, therefore I can get non stocked parts and backordered parts faster than the guy who just walks into the parts store, due to the volume of parts I order.

I was wondering if this is true for gunsmiths also? It seems if you order 20-30 barrels or stocks or whatever a year you would get preferential treatment.

The reason I ask is because it is taking my smith a long time to get me a McMillian stock. I know there web site says it is taking 6 months, and I believe my smith when he says he ordered my stock over six months ago.

Just curious. Rob
Old 12-06-2013, 09:18 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Can gunsmiths get parts quicker?

If a 'smith orders 20-30 stocks/barrels per year or 20-30 triggers/actions at one time he will/might get a better price (depending, of course) but, he gets 'put in line' by most manufactuers, like everyone else. I think many manufactures (not all) would rather sell to individuals as the can sell for retail instead of a discounted rate. To most manufacters, it's all about volume in one way or another. More money selling at retail, less hastle selling at a discount to a 'smith that knows what he wants without guessing and will be ordering more than 'one'.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Can gunsmiths get parts quicker?

Most of the time they get a slight discount but time is the same.