Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Can anyone I.D. this rifle, and is it a good long-range prospect?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 AM

No name or caliber or any other marks on the barrel except serial #: Bolt is jeweled, making me think, Savage, and a partial box of 7x08 SAVAGE was found with it. Has a Bushnell Sportview, no markings of any kind, mounted in Weaver USA rings, bridging the action, making me think, Long-action. Serial "K2291" on barrel and action. No nut holding the barrel. On the left side of the protruding rear of the bolt, on its wider part, is a small "lightning-bolt", and on the narrower portion is a number: upside-down smile, 54, and a crossed-through Zero (not barred). The safety-lever is blued. The round bolt-handle is slightly curved downwards, flat, round. It has a fixed box-magazine whose floor-plate runs the full length of the action (8"), with two screws, and a slightly oval hole just ahead of the trigger-guard (milled). Barrel is 19", with a rounded crown. The stock is stepped at the rear scope-mount. No provision for iron sights. There is an oval, milled hole in the left side of the action, just behind and below the front sight-mount. There is no provision for a front sight. Barrel is slightly tapered. It is glass bedded. The Monte Carlo stock is extra high, has a nice cheek-weld, and is two-toned. The fore-end has a chin of darker wood, as does the bottom-plate of the wrist. The "checkering" is unusual: it is an engraving of "curlyque" pattern, on the wrist and on three sides of the fire-end, in a flying scallop design. There are sling-swivels installed. Very minor dings and rust. What sort of gun is this, and can it become a LR Hunter? Thanks. -ACE
Old 12-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Gold Member

Re: Can anyone I.D. this rifle, and is it a good long-range prospect?

Gotta have a picture to work with.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

That would definitely be a help, LOL!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:29 PM

Yes, although I am conversant with a few, and love ALL guns, my MacBook is determined to deny my sending of a picture. My pics go into PhotoBooth but do not attach to my e-mail. Despite that, I have found a LGS owner who knew what it is: Mauser M-94 or -96. I think. It has a blued, short safety-lever. Only a few million are in circulation; my value, about $225 MAX. So, then, is this Mauser-line capable of Sporterization to good avail, or just a plinker? Any ideas as to accuracy / range? Thanks to all. -Ace.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

sounds like a '93 mauser, the dead giveaway would be if there is a flat area up close to the locking lugs. if it is, more than likely it is a 7mm mauser. i would not recommend changing calibers as they are rumored to not be able to take the abuse of a higher pressure cartridge. they are very potent in 7mm mauser though.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:07 AM

I.D. this rifle? Thanks.

Yep, there it is. My LGS proprietor didn't pull the bolt himself. You got it pegged. I'm learning a lot from you pros. Last question again, is it a plinker, or a hunter? Thanks. -Ace.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:48 AM
Silver Member

Dont wast the money sell it and get a 98. I had a 93 and I could not find a smith to touch it they are supposedly weak actions, not to mention you have a hard time finding add on parts or replacements.