Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

camber dimesnsions too minimum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 08:12 PM

camber dimesnsions too minimum

About 15 years ago I had a 300 Winchester Magnum built with a 700 action and a 27 inch Lilja. This was my first build. I had a local gunsmith do it, but found out later he is pretty terrible at what he does. When I got the gun home, I quickly re-sized some brass and when I went to put the brass in and close the bolt, the bolt would not close. I took it back down and said, "What's up?" He said "You asked for a minimum dimension chamber!". He told me he took a Remington factory round and made the camber so it would just barely close on that round. Sure enough, he put it in and it barely closed. So I bought some Remington brass and out of 100 pieces I got 30 to close really nicely, some wouldn't close at all, most of them were really difficult to close. I would just bags of 100, get my 30-35 pieces that worked really well, and shoot my gun. I have tried several brands of brass and have none that will allow my bolt to close. I bought a body die by Redding and thought if I keep turning the body die down, I can probably get any piece of brass to close the bolt and fit quite well. This hasn't worked out. My gunsmith said after I had the job done, if I wanted the chamber to be bigger, it would cost me extra. I just bought 50 pieces of Nosler brass and no mater what I do with that body die, the bolt won't begin to close. Any advice or help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: camber dimesnsions too minimum

You have two choices.

1. Order a custom smaller sizer die.

2. Rechamber the barrel. I would not allow that knucklehead to touch it. A rechamber will probably set the barrel back 1-2 inches so that would leave you with 25-27 inches which is still good.

3. Did you specify that small a chamber?

BTW, a custom smaller resizing die will cost almost as much as the rechamber and you still cannot load factory.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:46 PM

Thanks for your response. Wouldn't it be possible to just have a gunsmith make my chamber slightly larger. Ryan from Precison rifles has done a 6.5 284 Norma for me with a Brux at 28 inches and that thing is the most accurate gun I have ever owned.If not I will just have him re-chamber it. Thanks for helping out!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerus View Post
Thanks for your response. Wouldn't it be possible to just have a gunsmith make my chamber slightly larger. Ryan from Precison rifles has done a 6.5 284 Norma for me with a Brux at 28 inches and that thing is the most accurate gun I have ever owned.If not I will just have him re-chamber it. Thanks for helping out!

You can just use a SAAME reamer and head space .001 to .002 thousandths longer that the go gauge by using 1 to 2 thousandths shims between the go gauge and the bolt face.

Any good smith should be able to do it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-17-2014, 12:47 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
You can just use a SAAME reamer and head space .001 to .002 thousandths longer that the go gauge by using 1 to 2 thousandths shims between the go gauge and the bolt face.

Any good smith should be able to do it.

J E CUSTOM
+1 Just have the headspace set to minimum SAAMI specs, as it should have been to begin with.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Lazerus, I had the same problem with a factory Tikka T3 Lite in 300WSM. I ground a small amount off the skirt of the sizer die and all brass chambered without issue. You just need to move the shoulder back a little more than SAAMI spec to get them to work.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpoor View Post
Lazerus, I had the same problem with a factory Tikka T3 Lite in 300WSM. I ground a small amount off the skirt of the sizer die and all brass chambered without issue. You just need to move the shoulder back a little more than SAAMI spec to get them to work.
An even easier method is to turn the TOP of a shell holder down by .010", this will allow the case to enter the die further and push the shoulder back by that same amount. I have a custom 375 Weatherby that this was necessary for, it works quite well.

Cheers.