Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

buying a used rifle with issue...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 09:10 PM

buying a used rifle with issue...

Ok this guy is selling a Rem700 .270 win SPS with a new leupold vx2 3-9x40. the reason he is selling the rifle is because, he used somone elses reloads and according to what he says , the round blew up the inside, and he said he felt the pressure in his face. now the bolt doesnt close.. he is selling the whole set up for $125... any reccomendations in fixing the rifle? im just buying it for the scope but if i can salvage the rifle its a win win for me!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: buying a used rifle with issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando40459 View Post
Ok this guy is selling a Rem700 .270 win SPS with a new leupold vx2 3-9x40. the reason he is selling the rifle is because, he used somone elses reloads and according to what he says , the round blew up the inside, and he said he felt the pressure in his face. now the bolt doesnt close.. he is selling the whole set up for $125... any reccomendations in fixing the rifle? im just buying it for the scope but if i can salvage the rifle its a win win for me!
Get it quick before he change his mind! The Leupy alone is worth it.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:51 PM

yes indeed hahaha would it be worth it to try and fix the rifle?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Bronze Member

Without seeing it or knowing anything else other than you described it was most likely a pierced primer, the gas traveled through the bolt body and the bullet went downrange as normal. Why the bolt doesn't close is likely inside the bolt. I'd be interested in knowing if putting another bolt in it would cause it to work as it should. Definitely have a gunsmith look into it but like others said the Leupold alone is worth it, on top of that you have a stock, trigger and whatever other parts that are usable that can be sold on ebay.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:06 PM

thanks birdhunter, thats all the details i know of as well, i just have picture of the set up. i have a 30-06 same model il try and see if that bolt works...if its what you describe would it cost a lot to repair?
Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Bronze Member

I have no idea. I am not that knowledgeable on 700's but the gunsmith I am friends has told me that gas can flow through a 700 bolt if a primer is pierced and knew a guy who had a pair of safety glasses with a round burn mark directly in front of his eye to prove it. I don't know the pats layout internally to the bolt and what could be damaged inside it, which is why I say take it to a gunsmith.

I would like to know what happened to it if you buy it and find out.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

maybe theres just some trash in the lug recess?