Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Building a 300 win mag.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Bronze Member

Building a 300 win mag.

So I've got a browning a-bolt 270 that I love. I shoot with it all the time and I hand load for it. But I know that eventually its going to be time to re-barrel it. I would like to go to a different caliber when I do and I'm looking really seriously at the 300 win mag. I have limited gunsmithing experience so my question is if I get a barrel chambered for 300 win mag, and a bolt/ bolt face for 300 win mag would that be all I need to do? Just looking for some guidance as to if this is how to do it and if not what do I need to do to make this work? Is it even possible at all?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Building a 300 win mag.

I'm not familiar with Browning actions, but just having the bolt face opened and a new barrel fitted may not be all that is needed, because a 300WinMag is larger in body diameter you may find you will have to open the feed lips and modify the feed ramp so the cartridge doesn't hang up or jam.

Wouldn't it be easier just to buy a rifle in 300WinMag and have the best of both worlds?

That's what I would do, I have 3 300WinMags and love all 3, all are very accurate and pose no problem regarding handloading and brass life.

Cheers.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumManiac View Post
I'm not familiar with Browning actions, but just having the bolt face opened and a new barrel fitted may not be all that is needed, because a 300WinMag is larger in body diameter you may find you will have to open the feed lips and modify the feed ramp so the cartridge doesn't hang up or jam.

Wouldn't it be easier just to buy a rifle in 300WinMag and have the best of both worlds?

That's what I would do
, I have 3 300WinMags and love all 3, all are very accurate and pose no problem regarding handloading and brass life.

Cheers.
+1! I have 2 .300 Win Mags and are my go to chamberings.

I've re-barreled my .270 Win into .270 AI with Lilja 30", 3-groove, 1:8" and currently pushing 175gr Matrix VLDs at 2993 FPS as my accuracy load (at least for now) ... that's up there with performance level of a factory 7MM Rem Mag pushing 180gr HSM Berger VLD at 2845 FPS.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Bronze Member

What all would a person have to do to their casings for 270 AI? And does it still through the .277 bullet? Anything that's not a stock round I consider a wildcat round and therefore know nothing about them.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattailed bandit View Post
What all would a person have to do to their casings for 270 AI? And does it still through the .277 bullet? Anything that's not a stock round I consider a wildcat round and therefore know nothing about them.
The easiest upgrade would be to a 280 AI (Same ballistics as the 7mm Rem Mag) with no change in the bolt face or feed rails.

It Would be a straight forward re-barrel job. Everything else would stay the same. The 280 AI also does well with 180 grain bullets and BCs are great.

Just a thought if you want to minimize the work and cost and keep the rifle you have.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Bronze Member

So what would a person do about brass? I assume you could buy it, but what would it start out as? If it's just trimming and becoming it down I might have the brass around to do that.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattailed bandit View Post
You don't have to go wildcat at all. Re-barrel with 26-28", 1:9 for the 165 Matrix and 170 Berger or 1:8" for the 175 Matrix and the previous bullets noted and your golden. You already have the rest.

I am pushing the 175s at 2919 FPS while fireforming out of 30" barrel.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.