Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

To build a real accurate Rifle where should a person start.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: To build a real accurate Rifle where should a person start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
Is having my rifle bluprinted realy help?
A good smith will always check any action for trueness and will recomend what it needs
before starting a rebarrel.

Some need very little but others need lots of truing, so it depends on the action as to how much
is needed.

Even the custom actions need to be checked before proceeding.

So yes, it helps.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 AM
SPONSOR

Keith, much depends on the use of this intended rifle. Are you going to start shooting competitive bench rest matches, or are you going deer hunting?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

MY Wife wants to buy me a new barrel for a short action 700 that need some work.
The owner found it behind his back seat. FFFFFF U-KNOW Its a mess the barrel will be trashed
and just like all my toys, I take them apart and fix them..just a .308 its rusted bad $150.00.
Damned fool had it there since last Deer Season loaded..(he is a drunk). For a Scope he had a Tasco.

On the pluss side it is a must to Plue Print any action or check them, its just another post for the new guys that are starting out. some mic out just fine but othere need a little touch.
I realy think this will be the best one of the bunch..
My big Brother will do the work, and he is a nerd.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

I'd also say that an accurate rifle starts with a gunsmith that knows what he/she is doing. Given that, I'd say the action and barrel are equally important. Lots of variables to consider, but everything still needs to be put together properly.

Geb