Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

browning mk II bolt stuck open

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 PM

browning mk II bolt stuck open

hey yall, I am looking for a little help. I have a browning mk II safari, and it has the bolt hung where it will not come completely back, nor will it allow it shove forward looks like it is froze but cant seem to find the problem. I want to check the buffers but cant take them off due to the action bars not coming out, due to the bolt being stuck back. So i am at a loss if anyone has any experience with said problem or could have another possibility. I have also took off the scope mounts too just to make sure the screw was not keeping the bolt open i can take pictures if need be thanks for your help guys.. Derrick
Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 AM
SPONSOR

Re: browning mk II bolt stuck open

You need a gunsmith! Problems like yours' can only be speculated about without having the rifle in hand!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 PM

ok im not being rude but answers like that do not help me in the least, if there were one around here i would gladly take it too him. There is not the only one around is taking time off for his mother being sick and is very backed up. I have called him and talked to him and he told me this is most likely the problem. So please only answers with help in them not take it to a gunsmith. As i have already tried.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickrussell89 View Post
hey yall, I am looking for a little help. I have a browning mk II safari, and it has the bolt hung where it will not come completely back, nor will it allow it shove forward looks like it is froze but cant seem to find the problem. I want to check the buffers but cant take them off due to the action bars not coming out, due to the bolt being stuck back. So i am at a loss if anyone has any experience with said problem or could have another possibility. I have also took off the scope mounts too just to make sure the screw was not keeping the bolt open i can take pictures if need be thanks for your help guys.. Derrick

Under what circumstances did it "freeze" ? Firing it? Re-assembling it? You should be able to remove the forend and remove the action bars if the bolt is far enough back.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygss View Post
Under what circumstances did it "freeze" ? Firing it? Re-assembling it? You should be able to remove the forend and remove the action bars if the bolt is far enough back.
it froze after taking it out of the gun cabinet hadn't been shot in a few years and just wanted to do the regular cleaning on it. So i was clearing it to make sure it wasn't loaded and it just froze. I didn't do anything different to it in anyway the gun hasn't had more than two boxes of ammo thru it so i'm kinda shocked that that happened. Also i finally got the bolt unstuck with a few light taps to the rear of it came clear so i took the action bars out removed the gas piston rod and spring checked the buffer its fine. now ill have too assume its something in the bolt carrier or the shroud what do you think?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickrussell89 View Post
it froze after taking it out of the gun cabinet hadn't been shot in a few years and just wanted to do the regular cleaning on it. So i was clearing it to make sure it wasn't loaded and it just froze. I didn't do anything different to it in anyway the gun hasn't had more than two boxes of ammo thru it so i'm kinda shocked that that happened. Also i finally got the bolt unstuck with a few light taps to the rear of it came clear so i took the action bars out removed the gas piston rod and spring checked the buffer its fine. now ill have too assume its something in the bolt carrier or the shroud what do you think?

Could've been a number of things. dissasemble, clean, lube, check action, go shoot. . . . .
Old 04-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygss View Post
Could've been a number of things. dissasemble, clean, lube, check action, go shoot. . . . .

Oh sorry you misunderstood it's not fixed. It did it again after I reassembled and checked so this time i took out the whole gun there's not a major part left on the gun I believe it may be the bolt cover I'd be glad to here any ideas as to what it could be