Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Browning A-bolt Bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 01:32 AM

Browning A-bolt Bedding

New to the forum and looks like tons of great info...

Did a search of the forums and didn't find what I was looking for in regards to bedding an A-bolt. Found just about everything else.

I have a question for bedding the rear of the action, specifically around the tang area. There is a thin plate that goes between the stock and trigger assembly / rear tang. How is this area addressed for bedding?

It looks like the rear action bolt doesn't have much material towards the front of the rifle to make bigger for pillar bedding.

Was wondering if there were any pics or anything addressing this area. Looks like people have successfully bedded their A-bolts and have seen some pics, just not of this area... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Gold Member

Re: Browning A-bolt Bedding

The only place I've bedded Abolts is around the recoil lug and under the front if the action. I didn't mess with the tang or sides. They have all shot great with only the recoil lug bedded.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 PM

That's what I figured since the trigger assy is what is making contact at the rear tang....

Thanks. Does anyone else have anything else to add or are there any other suggestions?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Do a search on some old posts by JonA , I think. He has some good pics of one he did a few years ago. I would be interested to know myself. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:18 AM

Did find a link to Jon A's build for his a-bolt... looks like the link is dead tho... bummer. Looks like it was a really old post.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I am in the process of stocking two A-Bolt rifles, and took a few quick pictures to show how I bed them.

One customer wanted a complete pillar bed, and the other wanted only the front lug area bedded. So, the corresponding pictures will give you an idea of what the rear pillar will look like if you choose to go that route. This particular stock is taking on numerous coats of tung oil, so I had to remove some tape from the rear pillar to take the picture. I counter-bored the pillar to accept the rear screw assembly and the thin metal tang plate that you speak of.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Browning A-bolt Bedding-browning-front.jpg   Browning A-bolt Bedding-browning-rear.jpg  

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 05-13-2012, 11:38 PM

Awesome pics.... loads of help.

thanks