Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Brake options for a sporter barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Brake options for a sporter barrel

My kid has a Stevens 200 25-06 as his first rifle. And it's a bit much for him right now. What are my options for brakes on a sporter barrel. Most brakes I see out there are for larger diameter muzzles. Is there a way to get a brake for a sporter barrel. This is a temporary fix so i wouldn't even be opposed to a clamp on style brake if it worked.

Or what about old school style of porting the barrel?

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Brake options for a sporter barrel

We have DE brakes from shawn carlock on several of our sporter wieght rifles. It started out as putting one on a sporter wieght 300 rum, so it would be a little more gentle on my wife. now, we are putting them on almost all of our rifles. they work incredibly well, and i would bet you never want to take it off.

the only disadvantage of a brake is the noise, but we always wear ear protection, so that is not an issue. I have fired it twice without ear protection, and it was very loud. I wouldnt recomend doing that on purpose.

good luck

shawns number at defensive edge is 208-687-2659, and his website is www.defensiveedge.net
Old 03-08-2011, 04:14 PM

Yeah, I know there is no such thing as a quiet muzzle break. I did like the looks of the DE brakes. They just looked like from their website that they were a little larger diameter than my barrel. I will give him a call. I also liked the Painkiller brakes, but same story, they looked a little large in diameter. Plus I can't find a good place to buy a painkiller. I can find the guys website and that's about it. There was another that looked a lot like the DE brake and I can't for the life of me remember what it was.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Gold Member

they really are not that much bigger than the barrel, and he puts a real nice taper on it so it blends into the barrel. they look sharp and i am sure he can get you a picture of what one looks like on a sporter barrel. if not, pm me an email address and i will send you a picture.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Bronze Member

I have Gentry brakes on my light sporter barrels and really like them. They are called the Quiet Brake(Gentry Customs), the ports are 11 degrees forward making the noise and muzzle blast less. All brakes are loud but these are the quietest that I have used. (their contact 406-388-4867)
Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 PM
SPONSOR

If your not going to be shooting prone than a Vais can be blended very close to match the barrel contour. Worst case it has a slight taper. I usually install the Vais Micro Brake on sporter barrels. It comes with a .750" O.D. and can be turned down to .650" Most sporter barrels have around a .630" muzzle diameter so if turned down to .650" then a slight taper to blend into the barrel. I've enclosed a photo of the Vais muzzle brake. If you'd like one installed feel free to pm me or shoot me an e-mail.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Noreen muzzle brakes for ultra long range shooting from Only Long Range

Specifications and Prices for Ultra Long Range shooting and Noreen .50 BMG from Only Long Range

The 3/4" brake could be blended nicely and be extremely effective. Would tame it down around a 22-250 probably

I bet none of you have a .234 (6mm rem necked to .234)