Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Brake cleaner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Brake cleaner

I was working on my brakes and bought some brake cleaner. I then wondered if it could be used as a degreaser/ action cleaner.
I usually get Birchwoods action cleaner, but this stuff is only $2.50 at the auto parts store.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Brake cleaner

Yep it will work, i use that stuff like it is duct tape.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBuckus View Post
I was working on my brakes and bought some brake cleaner. I then wondered if it could be used as a degreaser/ action cleaner.
I usually get Birchwoods action cleaner, but this stuff is only $2.50 at the auto parts store.
As the end-user, proceed with caution, you have the ultimate responsibility of your action despite others recommendation(s) even those with the best intentions, that includes it's intended use.

I worked in the electro-magnetic manufacturing industry in the 1980s where we used the key component contained in the brake cleaner; we used PPEs (respirators) and heavily ventilated work environment.

Brake Cleaner Can Kill: When to Take Safety Warnings Seriously | Popular Science

Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Article

Warning labels are there for a reason. Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

I use it for quite a bit of stuff... guns included.

A buddy of mine brought over a marlin semi-auto .22 rifle a few months back for a deep cleaning. I don't think that thing had even been in the vicinity of any solvent or oil for the last 10 years . Brake cleaner sure was a big help

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 07-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Gold Member

Just keep in mind there are two different types of Brake Cleaner. There is Chlorinated Brake Cleaner and Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner.

The Chlorinated version is Non-Flammable. It tends to be a more universal cleaner and it dries faster then the Non-Chlorinated, which IS FLAMMABLE and usually works better as a degreaser.

Both work pretty well but you may want to read the label so at the least, you know if you have the Non-Flammable version or the Flammable one.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

Brake cleaner is my first wet patch through the bore after a session at the range.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kaney View Post
Brake cleaner is my first wet patch through the bore after a session at the range.
Its my second to last, then a wet patch of kroil. Also, when i get a new gun from the smith, i give it a blast down the tube and run a wet patch down the barrel before i shoot it to get rid of any oil let in the bore from machining. I use the non-chlorinated.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755