Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bought braked rifle, bullets keyholing!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Bought braked rifle, bullets keyholing!

I picked up a rifle on gunbroker. Seller said in auction that he would provide the name of gunsmith to winning bidder, he never did. Long story short, I bore sighted and couldn't get on paper at all. Tried again the next day with more ammo and finally got on a great big piece of cardboard at 50 yards. Only problem is that the bullet went through sideways. This was a 30 cal 200 gr AB out of a 1 in 10" twist barrel. I figured that the muzzle brake might have been installed incorrectly and the bullet was kissing it on the way out so I took it off and proceeded to keyhole another bullet!
I called the guy and he gave me the runaround but that is another story. I figured it just needed to be recrowned but when I threaded the brake back on I could see that it was wobbling around. Looks like The threads and all need to be chopped off and the barrel recrowned. It didn't kick too bad without the brake so I probably won't spend the money to have it rethreaded.
Does that sound like the next step or are there any other possible causes of the horrible keyholing? I'm sending it to a gunsmith who does barrel and brake work and he is going to check everything out. Looking to take the lemon I got and make it into lemonade!

Thanks!

Sam

NRA Life Member

Last edited by sambo3006; 01-14-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bought braked rifle, bullets keyholing!

Did you actually measure the twist to verify 1 in 10? The guy may not be totally honest... You could always try some 150's just to veryify it will stabilize anything.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Care to mention a name so the rest of us have a heads up/buyer beware on the seller?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Gold Member

As mentioned the first step is verifying what twist you have.

Two things are going to cause a projectile to impact on it's profile. either insufficient twist or a collision between the bullet and something outside of the barrel. (in this case your brake)

A brake will show signs of this right away. If you have bright shiny copper streaks then you know it's this.

Measuring the twist of a barrel is as complicated as a cleaning rod, a tape measure, piece of tape, and 5 minutes of your time.

Shove a patch in the bore till it bites. Make a flag with a piece of tape back by the handle of the cleaning rod. Be sure to attach it to the rod and not the handle. Measure the distance from the back of the handle to the rear most part of the tang. Just eye ball it and get it close.

Now push your rod through until your flag makes one complete rotation. Measure again using the same procedure. Subtract one from the other and you have your ROT.

If your shooting the heavy 30 caliber bullets in anything less than a 10ROT then that is your likely culprit. Be sure to check the brake though as it could be a combination of the two.

Good luck,

Chad
Old 01-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, thought about checking the twist and I will but I am at work right now. There were some copper streaks on the orifice of the brake, Chad. Even a 1 in 12" twist should stabilize those bullets enough to not go completely sideways at 25 yards I would think. Either way something is screwy and the brake definitely wobbles when being threaded on and off. There is a little spacer washer on the base of the threads for indexing and when the brake is tightened down the slight gap there looks uneven so either the brake is crooked, sloppy threads or the milling of the barrel shoulder at the base of the threads is crooked. None of those things would cause keyholing with the brake off, though.
Simplest scenario is that it is a really slow rifling twist which still makes it useless to me for long range elk hunting. If that is not the case, I'm hoping that cutting and recrowning will do the trick.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Just had a buddy check it for me, it is indeed 1 in 10" twist. The seller emailed me back and claimed that Shilen had threaded and short chambered it and crowned it. I doubt I'll have any luck with them since I am the second owner. It has to be the crown. Unless the smith sees anything else it could be, the threads are getting lopped off and it will be recrowned. Even if that isn't it, not an expensive job.

I think I have learned my lesson. I am just going to stick with the gunsmiths on this site and have one of those guys build me a sweet long range rig once I clear up some $.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Gold Member

I would start cleaning the barrel with some bore cleaner and brush the crap out of it than take it to a gunsmith and have him run a bore scope down the barrel. The only barrel I have ever seen key-hole at 50 yards was a Russian rifle from Korea. at 50 yards and it tumbles? I would guess that barrel is filthy or its wore out. Soak the Barrel, I know of a guy who used automotive rubbing compound to lap out a bad rarrel( in no way do I endorse this) you may need to lap the Barrel its not a sin...it may help.
What make of rifle is this?
I play around with Springfields and many have never had a barrel change and they never tumble at 100 yards +.

Neska Chad is right on..

What calibre and make of this rifle? lets hope its not shot out.
If you have a crown problem you might see this right away.
If its shot out buy a high quality Barrel.
Hey! Get back with us please.
Keith.

Last edited by kc; 01-04-2010 at 09:50 AM.