Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

bore solvent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: bore solvent

Sounds like I may have to give the Bore Tech line a try.

Eliminator and C4 Carbon Cleaner?

Old 03-24-2011, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post

Eliminator removes both copper and carbon. Bore Tech CU+2 Removes copper and Bore Tech C4 removes carbon.

Broz said in another thread that when he used CU+2, he didn't need to fire any settle in fouling shots after cleaning. I haven't tried the CU+2 yet.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Broz said in another thread that when he used CU+2, he didn't need to fire any settle in fouling shots after cleaning. I haven't tried the CU+2 yet.
Correct, and I have tested this with two rifles. This was the test for the .338 Lapua. Cleaned and stored without dry patching all the CU+2 out of the bore. This is how Boretech says to store the rifle to protect against rust or corrosion. Then I pulled it from the safe, sent 4 or 5 dry patches through the bore and fired one shot. Orange circle is 7".

The CU+2 is a copper solvent and is not advertised to get carbon. I just last night orderd a bottle of C-4 to use along with the CU+2 in my cleaning process. Up until now I would use Boretech Eliminator or slip 2000 for the carbon.

Jeff -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

Nice shooting
Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post

You can't go wrong with that combo. I would use the C4 first to get the carbon out and then Eliminator.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Bronze Member

Is there any advantage or disadvantage in using just Eliminator as opposed to CU+2 and C4?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BML View Post
Is there any advantage or disadvantage in using just Eliminator as opposed to CU+2 and C4?
CU+2 is designed to be tougher on copper but does not get the carbon. Eliminator gets carbon and copper. You can leave the CU+2 in your bore as a protectant and no need to oil for storage. Just dry patch it out when you are ready to use the rifle again. It is not recommended to leave elininator to dry in the barrel. The brrel should be dry patched and a lube applied for storage. I don't think it would hurt a thing just dries sticky and it would take a bit of effort to get it out after it dried. So this is why I am using CU+2 and C4 together they get both carbon and copper and with the CU+2 I don't oil the bore for storage. With this process I dont worry about burning the oil out with fouling shots and I feel I get better first round accuracy after cleaning.

Jeff