Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

bore solvent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: bore solvent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntbambi View Post
Here are a couple tests that show copper solvent results:

Test 1

Test 2

I now use KG-12 copper solvent for my centerfire guns. It removes the copper solvent. I don't use it after each outing, I only clean when accuracy goes away. Here in the desert, single digit humidity levels do not attack metal as bad as other places.
I've also tried KG-12 base on some very positive feedback and once again I followed up with BTE and removed a good amount of copper after KG-12 had stopped removing copper. You might want to test it for yourself.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Silver Member

Is it a case of another application or you stopped getting results from KG-12? Once the solution is saturated, patching out and a new application will remove more if there is any left.

One thing I have found is layers of fouling. Basically copper/carbon/copper/carbon/copper until you get to bare metal. This is more with factory barrels than after market.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntbambi View Post
Is it a case of another application or you stopped getting results from KG-12? Once the solution is saturated, patching out and a new application will remove more if there is any left.

One thing I have found is layers of fouling. Basically copper/carbon/copper/carbon/copper until you get to bare metal. This is more with factory barrels than after market.
It was multiple applications in a factory Sendeor barrel that was a fairly heavy fouler. I soaked it, let it sit and and patched it out and repeated the process until it was no longer removing copper, much the same way I use BTE. the last soaking lasted over an hour. After patching out the KG-12, I soaked with BTE and waited about 20 min and got a blue patch. I repeated that process several more times before getting all the copper out. On the last couple of soakings I will usually wait 40-60 min.

BTE removes both carbon and copper. In the above mentioned barrel The first patch is usually black with a little purple. Next patch a little less black with some blue-purple... next patch mostly blue with some gray-black, follow-on patches are blue until clean.

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 03-18-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

Cool, thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Bronze Member

I have found if you carry a package of Windex wipes, or the like, with you, you can cut a patch to run through your barrel before shooting, removes oil, dries fast, easy to carrry and doesnt leave anything behind. Plus they will clean a scope or your glasses. Have not tried BTE, use Sweets 762 it removes copper after others stop. I am going to try BTE.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

What bore cleaner to use for powder/carbon deposites? ATF?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyGP View Post
What bore cleaner to use for powder/carbon deposites? ATF?
Bore Tech makes C4 Carbon Cleaner and KG makes KG-1 Carbon Cleaner