Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

bore solvent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Bronze Member

bore solvent

Can anyone recommend a good bore solvent that they use after each shooting. I have been using the remington bore cleaner but not sure if there is something better that is not super harsh.

Thanks

Brian
Old 03-17-2011, 01:51 AM
Gold Member

Re: bore solvent

I learned this from a benchrest shooter. Mix Shooter's Choice blackpowder gel with Shooter's Choice copper solvent. It stays a gel so it sticks to your brush. It cleans faster than anything I ever used.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

I've been using Shooters Choice for many years. I also use Sweets 7.62. Sweets seems to be just a little faster working, but I haven't tried the Blackpowder Gel mixed with Shooters Choice. Maybe it's faster than Sweets?

Just don't leave the ammonia based copper solvents in the bore for long periods........it says so in the instructions. I've always followed the copper solvents with regular solvent, just to make sure there isn't still any in the bore.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:42 AM
Platinum Member

You could potentially get as many different opinions on this as there are shooters. Remember, in that barrel, you have both copper and carbon deposits. Most cleaners will not remove both. Some are questionable. Wipe Out foam does a good job on both. Montana Extreme, Shooters Choice, Butch's, Bore Tech and others will attack copper. I like JB for carbon, but there are others. I always use nylon brushes, mostly Iosso or Montana Extreme. To check on cleanliness of the cleaner, I frequently swab some Sweets in the bore, let it sit for 15 minutes, and if it comes out clean, the copper is gone. Finish with denatured alcohol to clean out the Sweets.

You can google this subject and get a great many opinions. You will be confused.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

+1 on Montana Extreme 50BMG and their Copper creme and Wipeout.

both are good for copper and carbon, but keep tube of ISSO around.

Use the bristle brushes.

Good bore guide is a must. Lucas is one of the best.

Hint hint- Dewey just came out with aluminum jag tips to eliminate the "false positive" of copper color coming from the standard bronze jags.

BH
Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 AM

Bore Tech's Eliminator works great. Won't harm the barrel or offend the wife's nose. Attacks both carbon and copper without harming the bore and has a rust prevenative in it.

I've been using it for years on my .308 and when the barrel was scoped the smith couldn't believe that I've shot 1800 rounds through it!

Welcome to Bore Tech, Inc.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

I did a test a while back to prove to myself about BoreTech Eliminator. I cleaned rifles with these cleaners first until the patches came out clean. Then I went back in with BoteTech Eliminator. BTE did go in and remove more copper the others left behind.

Test solvents were.

Sweets 7.62
Shooters Choice
Montana Extreme
Butches Bore Shine
and a few other I would have to go and look in the cabinet.

Don't take my word for it. Do the test your self. I had been using these others for years and could not believe it either. But now I know what I feel works best and I use BoreTech.

Jeff ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------