Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bolt Repair ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Bronze Member

Bolt Repair ??

Hey Guys, I broke the extractor on the bolt face of my rifle while fire forming some new brass. I guess I used to high of a powder charge. I have ordered a replacement part from Browning.

Questions: Do I need to order any other parts to secure the extractor into the bolt face? And, is this a task that is easily done or should I take it to a local gunsmith?

Thanks for any information or recommendations you can share.

Mike
Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bolt Repair ??

Mike, you didn't say what rifle or caliber, but my advice wouldn't change. Take it to a gunsmith you can vouch for. You need someone who knows what the hell he's doing, not a parts changer. He should at least inspect the bolt, locking lugs and ejector, and then test it for headspace (it may have set back) before making any repair. Be sure to explain clearly how it happened. Also take the fired case with you for him to look at, and the load data. If no damage other than the extractor has occurred, and he replaces it, I recommend that it be tied down and remotely test fired at least twice, and then check the fired cases for appearance and measure dimension change from a new, unfired hull.

Something to consider; a load that is too light can be explosive. Be sure not to underload when fire forming. Loads that are below the minimum listed in a loading manual should also be considered dangerous, not just loads above those listed.

Good luck, I hope that it checks out O.K.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Bronze Member

Tom,

Thanks for your response. The rifle is a Browning Eclipse M-1000 in 7mm WSM.

I checked the Norma cases after fire forming. They extended about .010 after firing the lowest load recommended for the bullet used.

These cases were 270 WSM that I had necked up to 7mm prior to fire forming. The shoulder on the 270 WSM is a little shorter than the 7 mm WSM, about .035 shorter. After trimming to 2.090 lenght, the case look very good.

I will definitely take the rifle to a good local gunsmith. Thanks again.

Mike
Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Good call on the gunsmith. I may sound too conservative, but the stuff I recommended is easy to do and considering the pressures involved, warranted.

Good luck, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
Mike, you didn't say what rifle or caliber, but my advice wouldn't change. Take it to a gunsmith you can vouch for. You need someone who knows what the hell he's doing, not a parts changer. He should at least inspect the bolt, locking lugs and ejector, and then test it for headspace (it may have set back) before making any repair. Be sure to explain clearly how it happened. Also take the fired case with you for him to look at, and the load data. If no damage other than the extractor has occurred, and he replaces it, I recommend that it be tied down and remotely test fired at least twice, and then check the fired cases for appearance and measure dimension change from a new, unfired hull.

Something to consider; a load that is too light can be explosive. Be sure not to underload when fire forming. Loads that are below the minimum listed in a loading manual should also be considered dangerous, not just loads above those listed.

Good luck, I hope that it checks out O.K.

Tom

This is great advice. I fix 5 of these a year due to unsafe loads. Not my loads but New customers that just start loading and not doing all there reaserch. I have also had to replace ejectors a few times.