Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bolt Lugs on new Rem 700 CDL SF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Bronze Member

Bolt Lugs on new Rem 700 CDL SF

I just bought a new Rem 700 CDL SF stainless in 30-06. I wanted to check the bolt lugs and see how much they were locking in the receiver. You can see by the pict below that it appears they are touching the full length of the bolt lugs, but it's a very narrow contact point. Should I be concerned with this and have them lapped or leave them alone? I have not shot it yet.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Bolt Lugs on new Rem 700 CDL SF-doc2.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bolt Lugs on new Rem 700 CDL SF

Looks better than most factory remingtons. I saw shoot it see what happens. or you can put a little JB's in there and lap it yourself. It doesnt take much so do a little and check it.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwht4x4 View Post
I just bought a new Rem 700 CDL SF stainless in 30-06. I wanted to check the bolt lugs and see how much they were locking in the receiver. You can see by the pict below that it appears they are touching the full length of the bolt lugs, but it's a very narrow contact point. Should I be concerned with this and have them lapped or leave them alone? I have not shot it yet.
If you can find a head space gauge, check it befor you do any lapping. if it is .003 or more don,t
do anything. if it is les you can lapp it a little but it will break in on it,s owne and have more
contact surface.

The fact that the lugs are marked all the way around is good and it should be fine.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the help guys. I was going to leave it also, but wanted to see from the experts, because I'm no expert.