Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

bolt face pitted due to primer blowout?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 08:52 PM

bolt face pitted due to primer blowout?

I have a question regarding my Sendero chambered in 7mm ultra. I was using factory Remington ammo to break in the barrel. One of the factory rounds burnt through the side/back of the primer pitting the bolt face. My main concern is how this will effect accuracy? I would submit pics but I'm not sure how to?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: bolt face pitted due to primer blowout?

should not affect accuracy send the pics to ewallace1@cablespeed.com and I will post them for you
Old 06-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wd40 View Post
I have a question regarding my Sendero chambered in 7mm ultra. I was using factory Remington ammo to break in the barrel. One of the factory rounds burnt through the side/back of the primer pitting the bolt face. My main concern is how this will effect accuracy? I would submit pics but I'm not sure how to?
It should not effect accuracy , But you need to find out why it blew the primer.

This could just be a case of a bad primer pocket but it could also be a case of over pressure.
And if it happens again the rifle should be checked out by a competent gun smith for an out of
Spec, chamber. (Head space, neck Dia. , Throat length ETc.).

The only other thing I can think of is that if your ammo was very hot (Left in the sun) this can
cause over pressure.

Try to figure out what caused it before it happens again.

Be Safe !!!

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-21-2010, 11:21 PM

I was using Remington Factory ammo when this happened. Its was the first day out at the range. My concern main was if this would effect the accuracy of the gun. I was also planning on having this gun accurized and rebarreled in the future. Would the action still be ok for this? Since this happened I have put 70 rounds throught the gun with no problems. I just believe one bad factory round was the culprit.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Deleted by me!

I'm sitting here feeling kind of dumb and chewing a little crow.

Last edited by royinidaho; 06-22-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Pretty common to obtain a tad of erosion pitting from a loose primer, which will leave a ring the same diameter as the primer on the bolt face, or some gas erosion if the primer pierces at the firing pin hole.

I'm surprised you haven't got some erosion markings on any of your bolts Roy? What with superglue employed to glue primers in place in loosened primer pockets. Pull out a magnifying glass and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a ghost ring on the bolt face. Reloading cases with enlarged/loose primer pockets is a good way to get a little puff of gas against the bolt face.

My guess is the description of pitting may be overkill. What I usually see is much more minor etching. Enough to remove the gunsmith's polish on the face of the bolt. And enough to feel the roughness with the point of a pin or needle. But no pitting exceeding what I would guess to be 0.001-0.002".

It is possible to create pits, or even torch cut the face of a bolt. But that takes some real trying. Like the time a high school fella I knew was using Lee reloading volumetric powder measuring cups to measure powder charges, but didn't understand that the volumetric cups were paired to specific gun powders and cartridges. He started mixing and matching different powders (he was also reloading some pistol rounds) using the same Lee measuring cup and wondered one afternoon why his Rem 700 (.243 Win) Varmint-style rifle bullets wouldn't hit the railroad signs he was shooting at along the tracks. He mentioned several consecutive blue streaks of smoke traveling towards the targets but no hits. Then the bolt locked up tight on him. A gunsmith had to remove the barrel to get the bolt free from the action. The gunsmith told him his hand loads had welded the action to the receiver. Recommended the fella buy and read a reloading manual.

Hard to say what pressures he was pushing, but he smoked several bullets before the rear of one of his cases let loose and the gases welded the action closed. A true wild-catter!

But I agree this pitting/etching shouldn't be occurring with factory ammo in a factory rifle.

Last edited by phorwath; 06-22-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!!!

So that's why I couldn't get the ring off the bolt face.

Thanks phorwath.

Anything else exposed in the pic that I should do something about?