Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bolt face open up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Bolt face open up

Tim,

With all these responses nobody bothered to ask what action you have. That can determine whether opening up the bolt face is feasible or if a aftermarket bolt would be better suited. Assuming it's a Remington 700, I've put 100's of sako extractors in Remington bolts for over 8 years and never had one let loose. The article on Lilja's website is referring to opening a Remington 700 bolt face up to accept a 378 Weatherby size case. I will open a bolt face on Remington 700 bolt and install a sako extractor up to the Ultra Mag size case. Cost wise it's absolutely cheaper to have the sako extractor conversion done, but done right, rather than purchase a aftermarket bolt. Here's a comparison.

Remington 700 bolt with sako extractor conversion: $100
bolt face bored out and bushing silver soldered in. (included)
bolt face opened up to desired case size. (included)
sako extractor slot milled in place. (included)
sako extractor parts installed. (included)
TOTAL $100

Aftermarket bolt with non attached handle: $125
Handle attached $55
Sako Extractor Parts Kit $25
TOTAL $205

To see how a sako extractor is installed here's a video I put together to show the process. Sako Extractor Installation Video

www.mcrifles.com
Old 09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Kevin

Agree with your figures except for one very important point.

That is the existing unmodified bolt can be sold for $100-150 quite easily. I have sold several that way.

That puts your out of pocket costs at less than $100 for a bolt that can be ordered sized correctly to the action, smaller firing pin hole, with the best placement of the extractor, smoother and even fluted.

IMO that makes it a no brainer to go now days with the aftermarket bolt.

BH
Old 09-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

Yeah sorry guys, it is a Rem 700 action in 30-06. I am hoping to turn it into a .338 Norma Mag. The overall goal is no more than 12lbs carry weight. I like the idea of short and stiff barrel so I'm going to play with the contour numbers to get to where I want. I'm torn between the KA Painkiller and the Muscle brakes also. I found a stock I like at Jet Supressors but after enquiring about the price that's a no-go. I was sending death downrange from a buddy's 300RUM with McMillan A5 the other day, but even it appears WAY overpriced, imho, so we'll see which direction I go from here.

On another note, I appreciate all the positive information as it is a reason I am constantly on this site vs a few others! Please keep advice and warnings, etc. coming!

Tim.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:39 PM
SPONSOR

That is true, if someone would buy your old bolt for $150 it would be cheaper to go with a aftermarket. My thoughts though are who would buy a factory bolt for $150 when they could get a PTG bolt with non attached handle for $125 have the handle attached for $55 and a Sako Extractor Parts Kit $25 for a TOTAL of $205.

Then you mentioned a smaller firing pin hole. Your now going to have to get the factory firing pin ground down or just buy a complete fire control for at least $55.

The extractor placement in the PTG bolts is the same place I put them in factory Remington 700 bolts. The nice advantage is having the bolt ground to the size you want but the fluting will cost another $35.

Please don't get me wrong PTG makes some really great bolts and I've used several but. You could go either way depending on what else you wanted to have done to your bolt. But to just have the bolt face opened up, it's cheaper to have a sako extractor installed in your factory bolt vs buying a whole entire new bolt just to get a different bolt face.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 09-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
Guys I searched but didn't find what I was looking for, or didn't know what I was looking at.

I'm wondering what it will take to open my 30-06 bolt face (~.47") up to .585". I know nothing but am trying to learn for a new build. Thanks for any and all help.

Tim.

Hi Tim,

I'm assuming your using a Remington action. The work itself is pretty straight forward. It can be done a few different way. I use a CNC mill where's most use a manual lathe.

Possible issues:

If your action is a pushfeed Winchester for example the T slot extractor is going to require a little more work to modify in most cases.

If your action a control round feed the extractor again will need some fussing over to get it right.

If it's a Remington then the common practice is to install a Sako style extractor as the factory leaf spring set up won't work. THIS is where I have a really strong opinion.

As a practice I will not service, install, or allow a twin lug, 90* rotating bolt in my shop if it's fitted with a Sako extractor. They are dangerous and I've seen two cases this year alone that resulted in surgery for both shooters.

The riff lies in that the extractor was/is designed for a 3 lug gun. 3 lug guns have the lugs at a 120* index. This means only 60* of bolt rotation. The extractor this way is blocked off from the raceways of the receiver.

A twin lug is at a 180* index and the lugs rotate 90*. With the bolt in battery the extractor is almost in direct line with the ejection port side raceway. Since the extractor is only retained by a spring loaded plunger there is vitually nothing preventing it from flying out of the gun in the event of a violent case rupture.

**** happens and when it happens with these little buggers people go to hospitals with alarming frequency.

I advocate an AR-15 style extractor for this particular application. At least it is retained by a cross pin.

Hope this helped.

Chad

Chad Dixon
Gunmaker
LongRifles, Inc.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
Yeah sorry guys, it is a Rem 700 action in 30-06. I am hoping to turn it into a .338 Norma Mag. The overall goal is no more than 12lbs carry weight. I like the idea of short and stiff barrel so I'm going to play with the contour numbers to get to where I want. I'm torn between the KA Painkiller and the Muscle brakes also. I found a stock I like at Jet Supressors but after enquiring about the price that's a no-go. I was sending death downrange from a buddy's 300RUM with McMillan A5 the other day, but even it appears WAY overpriced, imho, so we'll see which direction I go from here.

On another note, I appreciate all the positive information as it is a reason I am constantly on this site vs a few others! Please keep advice and warnings, etc. coming!

Tim.
As stated mine was for a 338 Norma build also. If you can swing the PTG bolt I think you will be very happy you did. Having a nice tight fit bolt is a huge + and scrap the Sako extractor. I use them in some of my rifles but Kiff will send the bolt body set up with a pinned M-16 style extractor.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21buck View Post
i.e. mag followers, ramps etc.
Would you mind explaining these things? (sorry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
the action rails will have to be opened up.
J E CUSTOM
What does this mean? Again, I don't pretend to know anything. Kind of like Jeeps, I pull and install motors, fabricate spring hangers and junk, but when it comes to actual mechanic-ing of the inside of a motor I know nothing. I'm a driver, not a mechanic. I don't know what this means but I want to, and I am trying to find all this information you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cram View Post
The article on Lilja's website is referring to opening a Remington 700 bolt face up to accept a 378 Weatherby size case.
This is for a .378 Weatherby size case. The 416 Rigby is the parent case and shares the .585 diameter with the .338 Lapua Magnum, roughly the same as the .378 Weatherby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesikaChad View Post
I advocate an AR-15 style extractor for this particular application. At least it is retained by a cross pin.

Hope this helped.

Chad
Thanks Chad, it did help, but is the AR-15 style extractor the same as the M-16? I understand the M-16 style is pinned also.

OK, so everyone thinks the opening of the face of the bolt this far can be done and is possible. But, it is probable that just installing a new bolt and selling my old one is a better idea, if the funds are there. Also, I like the idea of the M-16 style extractor.

One last thing, does anyone have a cartridge diagram or drawing of the .338 Norma Mag? I am playing heck finding one.

Just FYI, after speaking with Mr. Kiff, the reamer to get to Mr. Sloan's specs is $138.

Thanks again,
Tim.