Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bolt face open up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

Bolt face open up

Guys I searched but didn't find what I was looking for, or didn't know what I was looking at.

I'm wondering what it will take to open my 30-06 bolt face (~.47") up to .585". I know nothing but am trying to learn for a new build. Thanks for any and all help.

Tim.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bolt face open up

I had my 30/06 opened up to .534 for a 7mm mag. It was quite simple, the smith installed a Sako extractor at the same time.
To go to .585 is no different , however I don't know if you will find many smiths that will do it. A Chrome-moly reciever is better to use than a stainless one. The Lilja website under articles has a good reason why not to do it.
I assume that if you are opening the bolt face up you are probably going to get the action trued etc. At the end of the day, if you work out what you could sell the action for and the cost of all the improvements a custom action will not be much more expensive and will have better resale value.

Stu.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

You might also look at a whole new bolt with an appropriate bolt face and extractor already installed. PT&G and SSS offer these.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

+1 on buying a new bolt from PTG. better made, fluted, comes with M16 or Sako extractor. Save money and have better bolt.

BH
Old 09-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Silver Member

Been there and done that. Would have been much better off purchasing a new bolt. Less problems and more money to devote to other factors i.e. mag followers, ramps etc. It might just be better to sell the current action and get one that is already to install. There are a multitude of small problems avoided. You will be happier in the end.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
+1 on buying a new bolt from PTG. better made, fluted, comes with M16 or Sako extractor. Save money and have better bolt.

BH
+1
Did one this year, put a PTG bolt in a 700 action 338 norma build. Fluted tight fit with M-16 extractor, best money I ever spent. The bolt body is sold by it self or complete in any diameter you want.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
Guys I searched but didn't find what I was looking for, or didn't know what I was looking at.

I'm wondering what it will take to open my 30-06 bolt face (~.47") up to .585". I know nothing but am trying to learn for a new build. Thanks for any and all help.

Tim.
Opening up a bolt face is straight forward and common but first I would explore other options.

What caliber do you wan't to go to ? (There are a lot of 30/06 based cartriges that will work
in your rifle with little or no modification except changing the barrel). Example= 25/06, 270 win
280 rem and more. (Look at bolt face diameters if the Gunsmithing section).

If you wan't to go with a larger cartrige then it is a different beast. bolt face must be opened
up new extractor must be installed and the action rails will have to be opened up.

You can get a new bolt, but the handle will have to be welded on unless you can find one that
is one piece. and the rails will still have to be opened if a larger case is used.

Another option is to find a donor rifle with the correct bolt face and build off it.(This is normally
the easiest way, because you have everything you need except the new barrel).

Last but not least is to do a complete build using a custom action. it is also the most expensive
so be sure that you know all that goes into a total custom rig before you choose this option.

All of this work needs to be done by a good gunsmith so talk to several and get there opinions
and prices and then decide what "YOU" want to build and then go back to the smith of your
choice with the complete list of what you want and expect from him if he agrees with the process
you want then your off and running.

If this is your first build don't pay more than half of the price untill the rifle is finished because
sometimes if they have all of the money they have no incentive to finish in a timely manner.

The worst horror story I ever saw was a smith took 7 years and the owner had to pick up the
parts and have someone else finish it.

That's a lot but I hope it helps you decide.

J E CUSTOM