Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

bolt face lapping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Bronze Member

bolt face lapping

Does lapping in a new action really help that much or should i just try the action out first and see how accurate it is. Don,t want the extra cost of the bolt face tool and have to take the gun a part a extra time if i don,t have to. lapping will be done to the bolt face. Gun will be used mostly for target shooting.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:52 PM
SPONSOR

Re: bolt face lapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear head View Post
Does lapping in a new action really help that much or should i just try the action out first and see how accurate it is. Don,t want the extra cost of the bolt face tool and have to take the gun a part a extra time if i don,t have to. lapping will be done to the bolt face. Gun will be used mostly for target shooting.
If you're talking about a "factory built, complete rifle",,,, leave it alone. All the truing procedures to an action generally take place when fitting a custom barrel. You asked your question in a very general way, without specifics. I gave a 'general' answer.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Bronze Member

The rifle has a "26 hand lapped match target barrel, aftermarket recoil lug and trigger, tactical stock and will be used for target shooting. That's why i was asking about the bolt face lapping to improve the accuracy.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 PM
SPONSOR

Should have been done before the barrel was installed, along with other action "truing". Bolt faces are generally cut with a single point tool instead of lapped. Lapping would take forever. Sounds like another one of those "have to have" tools that have no use. Any work done to the bolt face can/will effect head space. That's why it is done before barrel installation.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear head View Post
The rifle has a "26 hand lapped match target barrel, aftermarket recoil lug and trigger, tactical stock and will be used for target shooting. That's why i was asking about the bolt face lapping to improve the accuracy.
I agree with shortgrass. Unless you did it yourself, I'm surprise the gunsmith did not recommended that, unless you declined it.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Bronze Member

Barrel is not installed yet, i am doing the barrel install myself so noting has been assemble yet so i just want people's feed back on the build so can get all the best info from you experts. Just don't want to wasted time doing things twice. I have go and no gauges when i install the barrel. Thanks
Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 PM
SPONSOR

If all you're gonna' do is "lap" the bolt face without doing the work on a lathe all you will be doing is polishing it, you won't know for sure that it is a true 90 deg. to the center line. Just 'truing" the bolt face on any 'factory' action probably won't show you a speck of increase in accuracy that you can make use of. A "target" action, like a Kelby, Bat, Hall or Stiller Cobra won't need the bolt face "trued,, because they already are! You're trying to pick out one little thing that will be the magic ticket to accuracy. The one thing I have found over the years is to specify a "tight neck" on the chambering reamer. SAMMI specs are very generous. As you are going to install the barrel yourself, I suspect we are taking about a pre threaded/chambered/crowned barrel for a Savage, and if that's the case, save your money, you won't see a measurable increase in accuracy.