Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bolt face diameter's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Bolt face diameter's

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI Rob View Post
50Beowulf .535" 2.11"
I think this entry is incorrect. I believe the 50 Beowulf is rebated and around .447" case head diameter.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 04-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
I think this entry is incorrect. I believe the 50 Beowulf is rebated and around .447" case head diameter.

AJ
It is the same as the 223 rem ( .378 to .384).

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

JE,

I just ran across this thread and found it very helpful with my 7mm WSM build.

Therefore, I feel very bad in correcting the original post...a 220 swift is really considered a short action round. I have two of them, and each was built on a rem 700 short action. However, i do see where you are coming from, as Ruger used to make it in a long action.

I just don't want someone out there somewhere to be short stroking their swift and wondering why.

Thank you again for the info

TEX
Old 05-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck View Post
JE,

I just ran across this thread and found it very helpful with my 7mm WSM build.

Therefore, I feel very bad in correcting the original post...a 220 swift is really considered a short action round. I have two of them, and each was built on a rem 700 short action. However, i do see where you are coming from, as Ruger used to make it in a long action.

I just don't want someone out there somewhere to be short stroking their swift and wondering why.

Thank you again for the info

TEX
Don't feel bad !!! you are right it will fit in the short action rem.

Being old I was used to calling a Standard action and a long action (3006 length)the same thing
and a short action was shorter but a lot of rounds will work but you may not be able to eject
a loaded round in some short actions (I had a 30/338 in a short action 40X ) and this was the
case.

Most of the 220 swifts were built on these (Standard actions) from the factory.

To un load a loaded round in the 30/338 I had to pull the bolt past the stop.

Now that winchester is building a super short action for the WSSMs some of the traditionaly
short action rounds will not work very well in this one .

So thanks for the heads up and keep the comments coming.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Silver Member

I sure don't like those super short actions much... they are hard to build off of. However, they did make some good looking guns in that build.

Thanks for the info once again.

And for a bit more... is the 7mm WSM the most powerful of the short action 7s? I sure seems like it will smoke em all... I just fear that this is a marketing technique and that its not all its cracked up to be.

TEX
Old 05-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

roughneck,
Interesting article on 6mmBR on 7mm cartridges.
Click under their cartridge guide section and read about the 284 and 7 RSAUM.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

trueblue,

that's sound advice. i actually got the idea from there. I'm kinda with everyone else on the 284 topic, but I do like the 7mm RSAUM...however, the reason i chose the wsm is because it has a better brass offering (winchester and the ability to neck-down norma 300 brass.) I try to stay away fro all-things-remington in the ammo/brass/bullet category.

although...they did have the 6.8 spc brass with large rifle primer pockets... that was an improvement on the original cartridge design.

If only lapua would make WSM brass... dang

TEX