Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Blogging my Rifle Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Gold Member
Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
thanks KRP....

good tip....well it must have worked. i just couldnt help myself. After getting the trigger back together and the bedding all done i just had to know. mounted a scope on it and bore sited it. ran a patch thru to make sure the barrel was clean. first shot was about 3" low and right, dialed it up and over.....2nd shot....5 oclock in the bull......dialed 3 clicks more up and three shots are a clover leaf measuring .35 center to center.....i am a happy camper!!!!!!here are some more pictures.....

Unread 07-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Gold Member
more updates... me extrapolate my info......i shot 5 three shot groups this morning.....started at 41 grs, stepped up one grain on each load.
group #1.....41grs.....2933, 2951, 2948
#2.................42grs....3005, 3013, 3025
#3.................43grs....3030, 3078, 3061
#4..................44grs...3122, 3158, 3194
#5..................45grs...3205, 3185, 3237

no signs of pressure that i can see. no hard lift on the bolt, just a tad of primer cratering on the 45 gr loads.all groups were under and inch. heres a few pics....[/img][/img][/img]

gonna try a different powder next and play around a little with seating depth.....thinking of H-1000. so far so good. im happy with the results to this point. i have to resize some more cases and do the prep so i am gonna take the gun apart now and start the stock finishing. im planning on sanding it with a fine grit paper then spraying it with a clear coat...prob do several layers. Any other suggestions?
Unread 07-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Gold Member
i suck at pictures...

no matter what i do they still come out small. Anyway heres the latest.finished the stock with spray on minwax polyurethane. did about 8 coats over a period of a day letting them dry about an hour between coats. left it for 24hrs then sanded with steel wool. everything came out great. the pepper laminate darkened quite a bit and she looks sexy as hell...put her back together and continued the load development/barrel breakin. best grouping was with 45.5 grs of H-4350 with a MV of 3250, and only a 20 fps spread.. this load seems to be midrange with no signs of pressure. i had 9 rds loaded and ready to shoot early this am. my range points east so i like to shoot just before the sun crests the mtns. first shot out of the cold barrel was dead nuts zero @ 100 yds....two more shots made a clover leaf of about .4 inches....moved to my 300 yd target after letting the barrel cool and running a patch through. im working on my drop chart at the same time so i held for the center to see how far she dropped. first shot was 6" low....second shot same hole.....third shot was touching.....measured about .3inches C2C.....ecstatic would be an understatement!....i am pleased beyond belief. loaded 20 rds for shooting tomorrow....gonna stretch her out to 500 then 600..... i have a bunch of milk jugs filled with water sitting on the range for execution in the morning....i wouldnt want to be in their shoes.....AJ
Unread 07-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Silver Member
Founding member of the 7MM STW Club
Member Texas Cull Hunters Association
Unread 02-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Blogging my Rifle Build...

Well dang that's mighty fine accuracy and performance. You must have a 8" twist BBL ? I have a 10" twist Hart bbl and it won't shoot 95gr VLDs. But 90 gr Lupua and 87gr V-max it will group very well.At aproximatly 3,600 FPS.
How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?
Unread 02-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Gold Member
Re: got the pillars glued in....

Originally Posted by dogdinger View Post
used 5 minute epoxy on them and then bedded the recoil lug....letting it cure over night....not real happy with the way it went in , but i think i can live with it....if it comes apart in the sure has a barrel-heavy feel to it, but looks great so gonna start on some load development tomorrow.....any suggestions for a starting load? i have h-4350 and h-1000 powder and 107gr sierra's...

learned a few things today....being the redneck gunsmith that i am, i wasnt wearing shoes.....drop the G**$&@( mned tub of turtle wax in the middle of the floor.....and of course you know murph'ys law about how toast always lands with the buttered side down....well it applys to turtle wax also.....i was right in the middle of the acraglass mix so i had to continue on....turtle wax between the toes has a funny/slippery feel.....not unlike warm cowshit, but thats a whole nother story...AJ
Now thats funny. i dont care what anyone else thinks.
Unread 02-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Gold Member
Re: Blogging my Rifle Build...

If you have the time/ambition consider a true oil finish on that wood in a satin/semi gloss.

MAN does it look sexy when its done like that. Very rich without that glossy look that just looks "quick" if you know what I mean.

Should be a nice piece. Do yourself one favor though. Lay that stock on a flat surface upside down and make sure it's not twisted up. You may find that it's not as flat as you'd like it along "show line".

Boyd's does a good job but every once in awhile you'll get one where someone was sniffing too much paint before they put it to the sander.

Good luck on your build.

Last edited by NesikaChad; 02-24-2009 at 03:19 PM.