Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Blogging my Rifle Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
Blogging my Rifle Build...

this will be the first installment of my ongoing rifle build. I am taking jerry taos' advice and putting together a LR rifle on a budget. (i'm gonna call it my red-neck rifle build) i just got my Douglas barrel yesterday.....2wks to the day from when i ordered it...and this was after i had to send the barrel nut and a dummy round to them and that took 3 days in the mail. barrel is 28 inch,SS, Varmint contour, chambered in 6mmX284.

action is a SA, stevens 200

stock is a boyds thumbhole varmint contour in pepper laminate color.

img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/thumbs/rifle_build_003.jpg[/img]

my plan is to sand out the barrel channel for the barreled action to fit into, then to pillar bed and bed the action. so far this is what this has cost:

i had the action from a 22-250 i bought a couple yrs ago for .......279$
Douglas barrel............................................ .........................351$
boyds unfinished thumbhole stockwith bedding pillars..................126$

i will keep you posted as this proceeds. feel free to send suggestions and tips. this is my first build so i would appreciate any help/advice. hope you neophites like me out there enjoy this as much as i do....AJ
Old 07-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for doing this thread AJ. I look forward to following your progress. Any chance you could make your next images a bit bigger? My eyes aren't quite as good as they used to be.

Cheers!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Watching with interest. I have nly owned one of the douglas barrels. I must admit that it shot and cleaned well. I am going to be starting to chamber a few barrels soon and am going to order a few to practice on. Let us know how she shoots.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Gold Member

for some reason....

my barrel nut and dummy rnd were shipped in a dif package and have not gotten here yet. hoping to get them later today. everyone i talked to at douglas were very helpful and they delivered a week earlier than promised. that kind of service deserves kudos.

slopes...try to copy and paste the url to your browser and see if that takes you to them...these are just thumbnails.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

got the pillars glued in....

used 5 minute epoxy on them and then bedded the recoil lug....letting it cure over night....not real happy with the way it went in , but i think i can live with it....if it comes apart in the morning....it sure has a barrel-heavy feel to it, but looks great so far.....im gonna start on some load development tomorrow.....any suggestions for a starting load? i have h-4350 and h-1000 powder and 107gr sierra's...

learned a few things today....being the redneck gunsmith that i am, i wasnt wearing shoes.....drop the G**$&@( mned tub of turtle wax in the middle of the floor.....and of course you know murph'ys law about how toast always lands with the buttered side down....well it applys to turtle wax also.....i was right in the middle of the acraglass mix so i had to continue on....turtle wax between the toes has a funny/slippery feel.....not unlike warm cowshit, but thats a whole nother story...AJ
Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Gold Member

coming together...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/thum..._build_007.jpg[/img]

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/thum..._build_009.jpg[/img]

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/thum..._build_010.jpg[/img]

got the action together and have bedded the recoil lug area....got the trigger back in......might just get her shooting tommorrow....thinking of firing a few rounds thru it before i do the finish on the stock....

i have never head-spaced a barrel before. all i did was use a new case and snugged it up until i felt a little tension on the bolt handle when closing. did this with 5 or 6 different cases. what signs should i look for for improper head spacing? i loaded 5 shells with a mild load of imr 4350 (40 grns) to test it with.....any suggestions?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

Run a piece of brass through your FL sizer and use it as a go-guage and then put a piece of tape on the case head for a no-go. That's how I've headspaced all my Savage barrels.