Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

blackpowder ruger #1 breech plug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

blackpowder ruger #1 breech plug

I am thinking about building a blackpowder that is smokeless capable. I am going to use a #1 action. I was thinking about using a standard size .473 cartridge with a large rifle primer as ignition and having the extractor on the #1 to kick them out. I figure I could make a nipple the shape to match the inside of the case head and cut the cases off around .500 long. If I just cut a flash hole the same as in the case and cut as much away inside the breech plug as possible to allow the blackpowder to get as close to the primer as possible........ Ideas?

Do you guys know of a good peep site setup that I can use on the #1? I am in colorado so I can't use sabot's or scope.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Re: blackpowder ruger #1 breech plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylabs View Post
I am thinking about building a blackpowder that is smokeless capable. I am going to use a #1 action. I was thinking about using a standard size .473 cartridge with a large rifle primer as ignition and having the extractor on the #1 to kick them out. I figure I could make a nipple the shape to match the inside of the case head and cut the cases off around .500 long. If I just cut a flash hole the same as in the case and cut as much away inside the breech plug as possible to allow the blackpowder to get as close to the primer as possible........ Ideas?

Do you guys know of a good peep site setup that I can use on the #1? I am in colorado so I can't use sabot's or scope.
The simple way to do this is to decide on a cartrige and load it both ways. ( 45/70, 45/90, 45/110
work very well in a duel role. Black powder cartriges are legal in most states as long as the rifles
are of pre 1900 design.(They can be modern made it's just the design has to be similar)

The browning 1885 is what I use because it fits this criteria.

I'm not sure when the Farquison action (This is what the Ruger design is based on) was built but if
it was before the turn of the century it should be legal.

I would nor recomend modifying the action if you intend to use it for smokeless powder.

The best sights I have found are the Soul tang sights by Pedersoli. Mine will allow me to go
to 900 + yards on my 45/120.

Just some thoughts

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Gold Member

I cant use a cartridge or it doesnt qualify for muzzle loader season.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I understand.

Some states are slow to get there act together. With the in line rifles that are legal there is
very little if any difference in accuracy between the breach loader and the muzzle loader.

There is of course the safety and convenience of being able to unload or carry a rifle when not in
use while hunting.

If it were me I would just get a dedicated rifle for your state and keep the Ruger as is.

There are some good deals on used muzzle loaders because of the change in the laws that have
allowed cartrige rifles that should cost no more than the mods to your Ruger.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What is the actual wording?

I have built several smokeless ML's.
Mostly with screw-in breechplugs, but a H&R with a press in BP.

If you go this way the barrel can still be used for centerfire too, but a Ranger would have to bang it out and it would be a ML for all intents!

I would NEVER use this with Black Powder since if you have a hang fire and open the breech it would be just as likely to "shoot" the breechplug into your head as to shoot the bullet out the bore!!

45-70 cartridge on left, cut down cartridge for primer, and press-in plug on right.

What caliber is the #1...458 Win Mag with a 14 twist?

edge.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Gold Member

Edge

I was thinking about something like you have there. It would be a little shorter and external threaded to thread into the barrel out of 4130 or maybe 416 stainless. I don't have the barrel yet but will be ordering one fairly soon. It will be a .50 cal and I am working on the specs and still researching the best non-sabot bullets that I can find. I like the hornaday FPB poly tipped bullets so far.

JE

No reason to use the #1 as is........ it's a pile of parts in the closet. The old barrel works very well as a handle in my floor jack! haha

Last edited by lazylabs; 11-02-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

Why 50 caliber?

50 is not bad, but 45 adds more options...IMO.

Is this just a tool to add a few more hunting days or do you enjoy shooting ML's and tinkering?

Where I hunt we have 3 months of ML and no rifle hunting so I tinker a lot.
If you have a long ML season and like to tinker then 45 with a relatively fast twist will open up options, like shooting sabotless bullets which are generally more accurate than bullets in sabots but require a bit more effort in load prep.

edge.