Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Black Walnut stock blank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Black Walnut stock blank

Mike why not a trade with Joel for something better OR have a nice plane jane hunting carry stock made
Old 07-06-2011, 01:07 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfhjr62 View Post
Mike why not a trade with Joel for something better OR have a nice plane jane hunting carry stock made
With the knots I can see in the pics and the poor layout of the wood I wouldn't put it on a duplicator. Like Joel said, even if the piece is junk, has voids or other hidden defects, ya' still gotta' pay for the inletters time. Not every sizable chunk of wood is a stock blank. The one shown in the pics would be better suited for a piece of furniture. Maybe I'm just too picky about which blank I'll work with, but my time, as a stockmaker, is worth something. Why waste ones time and effort with an "iffy' chunk of wood (this ones not a blank, just a sizable piece of wood). If it was intended to be a stock blank, it appears to have been cut and processed by someone not familiar with cutting a processing wood for stocks. Labor is the same for a 'nice' blank as it is for a plain one.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

Shortgrass, thanks for your honest answers. This "chunk" was not cut out to be a stock blank. It was just something the guy had laying around(he is a cabinet/furniture maker) and told me to take it and see if it would work for me. I honestly didnt know anything other than it wasnt as nice as I had hoped, so that is why I posted the questions for the experts.

Like I said, I have no money in this and was just wondering if it was worth putting any into. Now I know thanks to you and Joel, and respect your knowledge.