Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Black Rifle Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2008, 08:44 AM
quicktimeracecars

Black Rifle Question

I have a Rock River AR that I use as a prairie poodle population control item. It has a 20 in flat top receiver on it now. I know that normally uppers are not a controled item but I want to build a new upper with a 12 in barrel and red dot sight system for a home protection option. My only fear is this violates the statute of barrel length with the ATF as it was purchased as a rifle. So I am basically trying to get off cheap and not have to pay for a second lower that is "titled" as a handgun. I hope I am being paranoid and I can go the cheap route with no problems but I have this sneaking suspicion that I got to break out the checkbook and bite the bullet for a whole new unit. So I wanted to throw it at the alter of knowledge here and see what develops.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Gold Member

Re: Black Rifle Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktimeracecars View Post
I have a Rock River AR that I use as a prairie poodle population control item. It has a 20 in flat top receiver on it now. I know that normally uppers are not a controled item but I want to build a new upper with a 12 in barrel and red dot sight system for a home protection option. My only fear is this violates the statute of barrel length with the ATF as it was purchased as a rifle. So I am basically trying to get off cheap and not have to pay for a second lower that is "titled" as a handgun. I hope I am being paranoid and I can go the cheap route with no problems but I have this sneaking suspicion that I got to break out the checkbook and bite the bullet for a whole new unit. So I wanted to throw it at the alter of knowledge here and see what develops.

Thanks

Go pay your tax stamp like a good little minion. You got the money, I know you it.

Get one of these instead.

Last edited by NesikaChad; 08-23-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:57 PM
quicktimeracecars

No tax stamp items for me.

A few reasons:

1. German Shepard that has need for medication. (He is convinced that all evil in the world is caused by cats, shiny objects and, the UPS driver.)

2. Tax stamp = Big money to pose on range and waste ammo

3. Someday my gunsmith will get his happy a** back to the world and
suck up all of my available funds for kinky bolt guns to kill paper with.

Basically I just need a new bang stick with red light for dog to obsess over.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

You only have to pay the $200 class three tax stamp and whatever the class three dealer wants to charge , generaly $100-$200. you can get a decient short barreled upper either 10.5" or 11.5" for $500.
The class three tax stamp is $200 weather its for a machinegun , suppressor or short barreled rifle. I've got several suppressors and two short barreled rifles.

I love my 11.5" LWRC upper on my Doublestarr lower , itsw very fast moving through a building , minute of man out to 400yds with the Eotech site , and lastly its crazy loud especialy in a building.
Unless you have a good bit of training with a rifle or subgun in a building you will be much better served with a pistol , IMHO , but wanting somthing is the very best reson for getting somthing.

I recomend that you find a class three dealer in you home town area and just get it through them , I've dealt with several brands from cheap units from Model-1 sales that ran perfectly fine to $1200 pieces from Noveski and they all have one thing in common , they run better with a bigger gas tube , either the "pig tail" desgine or the newer "fat boy" , what your doing is making a bigger expansion chamber and it settles the weapon donw alot.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 PM

As mentioned, you'll either need a tax stamp to SBR the rifle (if your state allows it) since it's under 16" oal, or you'll need to attach it to a pistol lower (if your state allows it).
Old 08-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

If you put a short barreled rifle upper on a pistol lower its only legal if their is NOT a but stock on it , even if the lower is registered as a pistol when you add the butt stock that makes it a short barreled rifle in the eyes of the ATF. From what I understand the only way you can get away with not paying the $200 tax for the SBR stamp is if the upper is put on a class three lower (ie. legit full auto lower)
Old 08-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

just buy one of the kel-tec AR Pistols with a beta-c mag