Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bi-Pods & Stock Damage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Bi-Pods & Stock Damage

I've seen several friends rifles lately that have had stocks ruined, presumably, by having a bi-pod attached. One is a Styer model S with a factory wood stock, chambered in 7MM Rem. Mag. The bi-pod wasn't on the rifle when the mishap occured but the results point back to the bi-pod. He had shot the rifle alot from the bench using the bi-pod. It appears that use (of the bi-pod) wallowed out the wood and when he attached a sling and put it over his shoulder, the stud enentually pulled out and the rifle hit the ground breaking the stock at the wrist. Same senario with another rifle. Didn't manage to drop that rifle but the front sling swivel sure moved around alot. Tried to repair it by useing epoxy (MarineTex) to to glue in a stud with wood screw threads (for better adhesion) from the barrel channel side, but the attempt failed. This second rifle ( Rem. 700) was in a Hi-Tech Specialties Synthetic and chambered in .243 Win. Anyone else having problems? Suggestions, comments please.

Last edited by shortgrass; 04-05-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Unread 04-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Bi-Pods & Stock Damage

I have several High Tech stocks and have never had a problem shooting them via bipod. The only stock I've ever had problems with was the HS on my Edge. It sheered the first stud off and cracked the stock right to the tip. The second stud back seems to be holding better.

I don't shoot using bipods on tables.
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:03 PM

I had the front stud break off on a H-S Precision stock while using a bipod. I was able to repair it by epoxying an aluminium spacer from the threaded insert in the stock flush with the surface of the stock. This gives the swivel stud a solid shoulder to bear against.

Good luck,
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:54 AM
Silver Member

Ideally I suppose you want to drill out the stock from the top and screw the stud through a washer or something and add epoxy. Thusfar I've used my bipods on a TRG-S factory sotck and a McM, and that MCM stud is unlikley to pull out.

Denting the wood might happen anyway, even if the bipod is correctly tightened. Tightening it is always vitally important anyway....