Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

best cleaning kit available?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 AM

best cleaning kit available?

Im looking to buy a outstanding cleaning kit that would prevent me from buying every single piece from every where else. Im looking for a kit that has good rods preferably one piece, bore guide, nice jags, etc. etc. I would like to avoid using cheap kits on a very expensive rifle. Please tell there are such kits out there an where to find them. Apparently my google skills suck. If they don't exist what do you guys use and how do you have your kit put together. I already like M PRO products. I just need the proper utensils. thanx for your time.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: best cleaning kit available?

I don't think there is a cleaning kit made that would suit me. To each his own I guess.

I have a Dewy Rod for each rifle along with a Lucas bore guide. I keep everything except the rods in a custom built chest and have been adding and taking away from for 40 years. I also have a small kit that goes with the rifle mainly for upkeep from the weather on hunting trips.

I'm surprised that damn chest hasn't blown up with all the chemicals in there. One thing though I love the smell when you open it. Good luck on your search.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Gold Member

X2 What kcebcj said for me too.

I have a Lucas bore guide for everything and use Dewey cleaning rods.

I've had multiple "smiths" tell me that if you aren't going to use a good quality bore guide that is specific to the chamber you shouldn't clean it at all because without a quality guide you can do more damage than good.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post

I'm surprised that damn chest hasn't blown up with all the chemicals in there. One thing though I love the smell when you open it. Good luck on your search.
Kroil? mmmmmmm
Old 06-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Kits are a waste of money. You may get one or two pieces that count and mostly a lot of useless extras.

These are the essentials....

Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod
Tipton Deluxe 1-Piece Cleaning Rod 27 to 45 Caliber 12" Carbon Fiber 8 x 32 Thread - MidwayUSA

Tipton Bore Guide (Lucas gets high marks. But, I haven't used one)
Tipton Universal Bore Guide - MidwayUSA

Tipton Jags and Brushes
Tipton Ultra Cleaning Jag and Best Bore Brush Set 26-Piece Male Thread Nickel Plated Brass and Bronze - MidwayUSA

About all that's left are your patches, solvents, and an old wife-beater t-shirt.

I'm not partial to Midway. You can get these anywhere.

-- richard
Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Bronze Member

I'm a dewy guy when it comes to rods, but have been looking for different and possibly better brands for attachments.