Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

bedding a @*%&%$! Ruger action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

The action screws were way out to the side and rear , it looked like maybe the stock was inletted then moved then drilled ? I don't know but the fit was piss poor , the owner likes a large gap around his barrels like I do so i just ran a 1.25" ball end mill through the barrel channel so their was no contact untill I shimmed it with alot of tape to make the action sit up level in the action inlet area. I generaly don't like to bed the flat action up the sides but their was so much of a gap I wanted to fill it in. I don't mind doing Rugers but this particular action in this stock gave me fits and I generaly piller bed all the rifles I do as after the pillers are set solid I go in and remove moer material in the area to be bedded so the compound is at least .125" thick and with the pillers set that hold the action from crushing down to far and getting out of wack with the stock , I have found that it realy makes things easier , makes the job longer but I think the end result is better and its better on my blood pressure.

Today i milled the action to have a 5 deg taper from the stock line down , I also rebedded it to fill in this area and all the voids left from the earlier bedding , I'm sure that tomorrow morning I'll have a much better end product.

The guy that put the barrel on also hand lapped the bolt ways and this thing is slick , probably one of the slickest factory actions I have seen , the whole inside of the action looks like crome.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

James, who's stock was this? Sounds like one to avoid.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

The recoil pad says Boyds but its not on their web site any longer , its a heavy varmint style with the vets in the forend. I'll try to get some pics of it , its a good looking stock and it feels good to be behind , I think its just one of those things where we got a bad one.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

I'll give you an 8 out of 10 for the rant. I felt that you faded towards the end a little. I think with a lot more practice you could nail it next time. Thanks for this thread, it will make me think twice before I tackle my Ruger.

Remember practice makes perfect. LOL
Old 11-20-2007, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member

James
If the stock looked like this one I can understand your rant. This one had me calling it bad names before I was done! It had to be opened up all over to get it to fit and the pillars just verly fit the holes when lined up right. Remember to leave a small gap between the tang and the stock. I didnt on this one and it shot very erratic till I relieved the back of the tang?
I like it now but would not do another one!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Thats the one only this one is grey > I do like the stock as its very comfortable but it seems like it would ride to high in the bags but I haven't actualy gotten behind the gun on the rest.

Yea I learned a few years back that you need a few pieces of tape across the back of the tang , not sure why .