Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

bedding a @*%&%$! Ruger action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

bedding a @*%&%$! Ruger action

I tell you what , I'd like to meat the clown that though putting the front action screw at 60 deg in the Ruger 77 rifles so I could punch him in the mouth !!!

I just got finished bedding the action of a custom Ruger 300 WSM with a 30" #8 Shilen barrel into a Boyds stock , first off the action inlet was about a size to big for the gun and the barrel channel was about 6 sizes smaller than the owner orderd. The owner refused to let me piller bed the the gun then glass bed it so I had to shim the damn thing up so it would ride in the stock correctly but thats ok cause I dodne't have to remove nearly as much material for the bedding. test fit the stock a few time to make sure everything is go to go before mixing the bedding compound and the freekin action screw holes are WAY out , so I get the wood worked around so I can get the screw into the action. Alright all ready to go get the action fidded into the bedding and start trying to play hide and seek with the action screws , get about half the bedding material run out of the now HUGE screw holes and get everything half snuged down. 8 hrs later remove the action screws and start trying to remove the action and after an hr of cusing anf fussing I get the thing out to find a bunch of voids in the bedding &$#@(*&$#$&*(^$@$&*^$. I decided to mic the action and find that the damn thingis wider at the bottom than at the top !!!

Anyway now that I've got all that out of my system the owner calls me and tells me how he needs the gun complete by this comming weekend which is no big deal except that he can't payme till the first of December !!! I told thats fine but the end cost is gonna be higher than first quoted due to the crappy desgine of the P.O.S. actions he insist on using and mentioned that if he brough me another Ruger to work on I was gonna punch him in the mouth

So how many of you guys are loyal Ruger fans spend you hard earned dollars building custom guns???

Sorry for the crybaby rant but the wife and the three yr old just were not being to sympathatic.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I hear your pain my friend!!!

I actually do not mind working on Ruger receivers but they along with many flat bottom receivers can be a challange to bed properly, then you add on the angled fore screw and all the damn grooves, holes and angled steel on the rear of the receiver and your right, a pain in the rear to bed.

Still, when bedded properly, in my experience, a Ruger will show more dramatic improvements in consistancy then most other receivers.

Anyway, good rant, we all need to have one every once in a while!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Bronze Member

I feel for you.

The few times I actually was getting stuff ready to bed my Ruger, I got a pain in my side that felt like appendicitis. My guess is that is the reason man has an appendix, to warn him not to bed rugers.

I loved my ruger but accurizing it was boggling my mind, so much so that I sold it and bought a savage.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

James

I know what you mean about the angle recoil lug being a problem
and I wont bed one without pillars.

Also I don,t tighten the bedding screws when bedding any action
to prevent preloading the stock or action (A real problem with
the angled recoil lug).

For me to grantee any kind of accuracy I pillar bed every type
of action to get a metal to metal fit from the floor metal to
the action.

The RUGER is well made but not my choice for a custom biuld
for that reason.

Good Luck
J E CUSTOM
Old 11-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quit shoveling my friend=The hole is just getting deeper :eek:
I like Rugers when they behave but they sure can be a pain to get to know! Between the casting marks/stamps on the side of the action(do they really need to be there??) and the fat bottomed actions they can be a bit challanging. If I was a michinest (wich I aint) I would mill them narrow on the bottom and be done with it but a grinder and file works....but it sure aint pretty!
I would sure question anyone who would not want pillars in a Ruger and would deffinatly charge more without them!
You arn't letting it out of the shop without being paid for....are ya?
These days Savage has won favor cause I dont have to rely on a smith to do anything with them, nothing against a good smith(exept they are to busy to get it done anytime soon) but there are way too many out there that aint worth spit!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member

Just back from my morning run and I feel much better.

This fella has a more money than sense , he works off shore and currently has some legal fees so Iunderstand his money being short this time around , I've know this guy for years and know hes good for the money if not I know where he can be found and he knows that if he tries to stiff me he'll wake up one nite with me standing over him.

I have know Idea why the heck he doesen't want pillers , but I can tell you this is the last time I'll do one without them.

I have a Ruger action here I was gonna build on one day for my dad , I may have to get the mill after it , maybe just take 2 deg off of it from where the stock line rides down to the bottom.

I'm sure this gun will shoot well , now its bedded , has a 14 oz Jard trigger , Shilen Select match trigger installed buy a decient smith and hcambered for a tight neck 300 WSM , he has to turn the brass a little bit to get them to fit

Any way I'm gonna stick to round bottoms from now on
Old 11-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

James, the action holes may have been so far out because of the angle the action fit into the stock. Due to the undersized barrel channel causing the muzzle to point up. If you would have relieved the channel to fit the barrel things may have lined up better, maybe.

When I bed a Ruger I use a small amount of bedding compound, so that it dosn't squeeze up the side of the action. I try to fill the area around the tang, and under the flat, and around the recoil lug/ If things work out the bedding never moves up the sides more than a quarter inch.

Doing this I have yet to have a Ruger lock to the stock, and there is plenty of lateral suport of the action.

Not that my post will help sounds like your done with Rugers.