Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bedding question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

Bedding question

I'm planning to skim coat bed my HS stock. I've found some good info here and other sites but I can't find anything specific on what to do with the action screws. Some don't install the screws and some do. My real question is do I need to put release agent on the screws and how do you keep the bedding compound from seeping onto the screws and getting into the action threads?

Gordon
Old 08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bedding question

I have done it both ways, with the action screws and with a threaded stud, both work well.

One of the advantages of using studs is they can be installed in the action and guided down through the holes in the stock before there is any contact with the bedding compound. Then just thread a nut and washer on the bottom and tighten.

If you opt to use the action screws just wrap them with masking tape until they just barely slide into the holes in the stock (same with stud option), this will prevent most of the bedding compound that might run down the holes. It's a little tougher to get the action screws started with this method, but doable. Just be sure to use a Q-tip and put release agent on the threads inside the action screw holes..

Put release agent on anything that may come in contact with the bedding compound, including the action screws or studs, even if you tape them.

Of coarse this is just one way to skin that cat.

Chris

Last edited by winmagman; 08-30-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmagman View Post
Put release agent on anything that may come in contact with the bedding compound, including the action screws or studs, even if you tape them.
Thanks. What do you use for release agent? Most of the articles I've read use car wax.

Gordon
Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

I"ve only used Johnsons Paste Wax, never had a problem with it though.

Chris
Old 08-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamp54 View Post
Thanks. What do you use for release agent? Most of the articles I've read use car wax.

Gordon

Kiwi Neutral Shoe Polish. Goes on super thin.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

do you reload? If not go get some spray case lube and spray every down realy good I mean soak it down inside and out and have at it.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva54 View Post
do you reload? If not go get some spray case lube and spray every down realy good I mean soak it down inside and out and have at it.
That's interesting. I've not seen that yet in my search for "how to" info on bedding. Yes I do reload but I usually use the non-spray lube.

I already bought some Johnson's paste wax, otherwise I'd get some Kiwi. I've seen that mentioned a lot. I also got some Devcon in the tubes and some cheap modeling clay. I hope there is no difference between the cheap modeling clay and the expensive stuff for bedding. I'm just waiting on the action studs now. So far what I've found is those who just tape the barreled action onto the stock are pillar bedding. Since I'm skim coating my HS stock I thought I'd follow wingman's suggestion and try the studs.

Gordon