Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bedding problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

Bedding problem

I have bedded around 20 rifles. I have never had too much trouble in getting the action out of the stock. I just bedded a Rem700, into a B&C stock. After 24hrs of of waiting, the stock just will not budge. Just wondering if any of you have any tips or tricks that could help with getting this thing out. I have put ice on the action to contract it, tapped on it with various items. No luck. The bedding compound that flowed into the action is coming out just fine, which leads me to think that the release agent is working just fine. The release agent was car wax buffed then covered with pam spray. I have used this many times with great results. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Bedding problem

Try putting the rifle in a deep freeze for 24 hrs. Then whack the end of the barrel on a padded bench. I have never had to do this but I have heard of people having success with it. Good luck and hope this helps
Old 03-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Silver Member

If you take two long 1/4-28 bolts, (say 3 inches or so), screw them into the action in place of the action screws, you can then take a hammer and tap the heads of those bolts. I have knocked out a few like this, but its a last ditch effort.

You will likely have to run a tap back through the screw holes to straighten the threads back out.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

I have read before that you can put it in a deep freeze for an hour or so and then turn action down hold the end of the forearm with one hand and hit the barrel with a rubber mallet.

I've never tried it but the person that wrote it on this forum said it worked...might give it a try

-Nathan
Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Gold Member

the "bedding Jack" that I make will get it out.

Hammer no longer required.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

I have used a block of wood that just fits into the mag well with the bottom metal removed. You can whack it with a hammer and you will be directing the force straight up on the bottom of the action as opposed to hitting the barrel and applying the force at an angle. Less chance of damaging the bedding around the recoil lug in my opinion, plus the wood won't hurt the steel action.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesikaChad View Post
the "bedding Jack" that I make will get it out.

Hammer no longer required.

Hey Chad is this kind of along the same line of a gear puller. Looks like the same principle as one anyway...verrry good idea

-Nathan