Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bedding a Parker Hale Mauser???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Silver Member

Bedding a Parker Hale Mauser???

My dad just purchased a Parker Hale 30-06 at a pawn shop and he asked me to bed it for him. I have bedded many rem 700's and savages but never a Mauser. Should I just bed the recoil lug and first inch of the barrel, or should i bed the entire Action???

Thanks, Mike
Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bedding a Parker Hale Mauser???

I bed the entire action, pillar bed the screws, and the trigger guard at the bottom of each screw pillar.

All my mausers shoot 1/2" MOA with premium barrels, so something is working.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

So pretty much just like a remington then. Than you very much for your reply, I was beginning to think I was not going to get any help with this! I don't suppose that you have any pictures just to get my mind wrapped around it?

Thanks, Mike
Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

No, sorry I don't really have any photos of mine right off hand. The easiest way to go about it is to bed the entire area under the front ring back to the front of the mag box and however far on the barrel you want, then the rear tang area which ends up being not a whole lot of area, but with the pillar job will hold the tang area tight.

Same thing goes for the trigger guard.

You can do the entire action, but it is not needed, especially if it is a normal weight barrel. I figure while I'm there doing all the work, I might as well do the entire thing.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Ok thanks! I'll probably bed the whole action. Like you said ya might as well beds the whole thing, and doesn't take much more time.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Found this post kinda late, did you bed the action yet? If not then be sure to inlet a recoil bar in the stock just behind the receiver recoil lug. I do this on all my mauser builds and the results are a rock solid base behind the receiver lug. This is hidden from view on the outside of the stock so you don't have an exposed pin showing on the stock.

NRA Life member
Varmint Hunter Association member
American Gunsmith Association
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Gold Member

Mike.. don't forget to tape off the edge of that fabulous stock,
and if you can do it, remove the trigger to keep it from getting any Bedding Compound on it.
if you can't tape it off with the utmost care..than lightly file around the trigger area so no compound can touch the trigger. also put some relese agent on the assembly screws. also add some tape just in front of the action so it stays off the barrel and add some paper in the channel to be sure the barrel floats.
One of my friends owns a Pawn Shop and he got a Parker Hale about 10 years ago and the stock was just plane beautyful. His was a .3006 and it is a real tack driver.

Just asking..what is the condition and price did he get it for? they were some of the sweetest rifles I have ever shot, I have missed out on a few, You can tell you father from me he bought one of the best rifles IMO ever made, surpassing a Weatherby. I bet the stock can suck your eyes out.