Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bedding Material Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

Bedding Material Question

I've seen numerous opinions on what is being used for stock bedding material. I would like to use Marine Tex or Devcon Liquid steel/ putty, But I'm having a hard time getting it locally. I can get these online, but I hate waiting for the shipping lag times.

I'm bedding the lug of a rifle that I had to remove a small portion of the Alluminum Bedding block on the sides to make the Oversized recoil lug fit as a result I want to restore as much of the strength of the lug recess as possible and get the precise fit. I'm not seeing any need to bed the rest of the block at this time.

I was wondering if any body has used J-B Weld as a bedding material. I have bedded a few stocks in the past using bedding kits with good success. So I'm not new to bedding actions. I've never tried this stuff and was looking for pros or cons and past experience.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Gold Member

Re: Bedding Material Question

Cal Ranch sells Devcon Liquid steel but it comes in tubes instead of the putty form. It's only $5 a pack and my buddy just bedded his whole 700 long action with one pack. He said it was super easy to work with and once you mixed it, it became really thick like the putty.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Gold Member

Strangely enough, my Cal Ranch is out of Devcon Liquid Steel. That's where I ended up getting the J-B Weld. It's the same deal with a 1 to 1 Ratio. Iim guessing that If I do all of the prep correctly, It'll work fine. I guess That I'm concerned about shrinkage or it becoming brittle with time.

Thnaks again,

Dan
Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1 View Post
I've seen numerous opinions on what is being used for stock bedding material. I would like to use Marine Tex or Devcon Liquid steel/ putty, But I'm having a hard time getting it locally. I can get these online, but I hate waiting for the shipping lag times.

I'm bedding the lug of a rifle that I had to remove a small portion of the Alluminum Bedding block on the sides to make the Oversized recoil lug fit as a result I want to restore as much of the strength of the lug recess as possible and get the precise fit. I'm not seeing any need to bed the rest of the block at this time.

I was wondering if any body has used J-B Weld as a bedding material. I have bedded a few stocks in the past using bedding kits with good success. So I'm not new to bedding actions. I've never tried this stuff and was looking for pros or cons and past experience.

Thanks,

Dan
I would recomend the Brownells Steel bed for many reasons, It is made for that purpose. It is easy
to use, working time is good. It has metal in it making it very tough and hard and it doesent run
like some of the others.

There are many different types of bedding compounds that are cheaper but the difference in price
is not not worth the difference in trouble.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Gold Member

Grainger sells Devcon in both the steel putty and the titanium putty.

Putty, Steel, 1 Lb - Putties - Putties - 5A453 : Grainger Industrial Supply

Putty, Titanium, 1 Lb - Putties - Putties - 5E147 : Grainger Industrial Supply

Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Gold Member

Thanks Guys,

I'm looking at the Brownells now. I looks like I'm going to have to wait a couple of days for the ship time....... Patience is a virtue.

Guess I'd better do it right the first time...

Dan