close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bedding in front of recoil lug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bedding in front of recoil lug

On Mausers, I bed the first inch of barrel in front of the receiver.

I pillar bed the rear, but seldom bother with the wide short pillar in the front.

Have you noticed how little good bedding improves accuracy, but how much bad bedding can hurt accuracy?

If the point of impact changes with changes in action screw torque, chisel the glass out of there and start over. This can be checked with a bore sighter.

Unread 10-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Clark;433195]

Have you noticed how little good bedding improves accuracy, but how much bad bedding can hurt accuracy?

Actually I have never seen a bedding job that hurt the accuracy only change the harmonics
and change the POI.

However good bedding is allways an improvement to accuracy If done right and improves
consistency and makes it easier to load for.

A poor bedding job is normally just that "A poor bedding job".

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 10-21-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Unread 07-23-2016, 08:37 AM

I know this is a old thread but I came across it. So for the heck of it I will give my thoughts and experience. I have 5 rifles 2 are custom rigs and 3 are factory rifles with upgrades. The 2 custom rigs came with only the action bedded up to recoil lug so just the recoil face back through action. Best group with rifle one was 5/8 in. Best group with rifle 2 was 3/4 in. Handloading. Both rifles after research I read many times to bed entire recoil lug and 1 to 2 inches forward of it. So I purchased a bedding kit and did recoil lug and first 1 1/2 half forward of recoil lug. Rifle one with same load now shot from 5/8" to solid clover leafs 1/4 in groups. Rifle 2 shot solid 3/4 in and now shoots a solid 3/8 in groups.
Now onto the 3 factory rifles. All 3 shot around an 7/8 to 1 in groups. All 3 had after market stocks installed..So I bedded the recoil lugs and forward of recoil lug 1 1/4-1 3/4 inches. 2 of the 3 rifles now shoot same load under 1/2 moa and 3rd rifle is slightly over 1/2 moa. Improvement!!
All rifles were 100% free floated before bedding. Also in strings of shots all 5 rifles shoot same point of aim with no shift. I limit strings to 3 shots groups. I did test 2 of the guns to 8 rounds and still held point of impact. 3 rifles have sporter weight barrels and 2 have heavy sporter barrels. In 4 rifles I seen great improvemt, 1 rifle slight improvement. So I believe in doig it as I have personally never seen it effect a rifle in a bad way. If it does, You can just remove it. Hope this helps a couple years after your question lol. Take care
Unread 07-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

I bedded a Tikka T3 Lite in a Manners composite stock about 3 years ago using Devcon Steel Putty and an aftermarket steel recoil lug. First fired the rifle with an inch or so of bedding under the barrel's shank just forward of the receiver. Wasn't happy with accuracy. Then removed the bedding material under the barrel with a Dremel burr and accuracy improved notably. After that experience, I only leave bedding material in contact with the action, and leave the barrel free of contact with the bedding material.
Unread 07-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Gold Member

Since this thread started I have bedded many dozens of rifles for myself.
I no longer have any epoxy touching the barrel anywhere.