Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bedding compounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

Bedding compounds

Is there a real difference between say the acraglass kits and the steel bed kits from Brownell's (besides what they are made of). For wood or laminate stocks is it better to use the steel kit or will the standard ones work fine. Also I have a bucket of JB Weld, would that work the same as the steel version. Thanks for the assistance........
Old 07-10-2009, 03:18 PM

Re: Bedding compounds

If this is your first venture into bedding, I would recommend Acraglass gel. It is easy to work with and is a proven bedding material.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

If this is your first time, read the link below until you FULLY understand everything in it, took me 3 or 4 times, but then I have been accused of being slow.
Richard reccomends Devcon, I have used it all so and like it very much.
Don't be afraid to put more bedding compound in the stock than you think you need, it is better to squeeze more out than to have voids in the bedding when you pop the stock loose.

Good Luck

Dave

Stress-Free Pillar Bedding
Old 07-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

+1 for the Devcon putty. I've used about everything from Acraglass to JB weld. I won't use anything but Devcon putty now.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleyman View Post
Is there a real difference between say the acraglass kits and the steel bed kits from Brownell's (besides what they are made of). For wood or laminate stocks is it better to use the steel kit or will the standard ones work fine. Also I have a bucket of JB Weld, would that work the same as the steel version. Thanks for the assistance........
All of the listed bedding compounds are very good as far as strength goes but the ease
of working with them is what separates the groupies from the rock stars.

For your first time I would strongly recomend any of the thicker ones (jell or putty type)because
of more working time and it does not run as bad or not at all.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

West Marine sells a polyester filler number 404 and figerglass resin, hardner and color pigments.

I mix my polyester and grlass to the consistency of peanut butter then add enought hardner to make it setup in about an hour. I free looat the barrel and glue in the pillars. I open up the recoil lug opening undercuttung it so the glass will remain in the stock after the actions is removed. I use Johnson wax or a simular carbanna wax as a release agent.

Nat Lambeth
Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys for the help. This isn't my first time on the block with bedding actions, I was just looking for other alternatives instead of over the counter kits that are gettting expensive, plus only getting one maybe two rifles out of them. I looked into the devcon and from what everyone says looks like good stuff. I went to my local Ace hardware store and got some. Once my new rifle gets done, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks again for the help.......