Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bedding Compound Removal ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Bedding Compound Removal ????

Well, after years of bedding rifles, I got in a little too much of a hurry and managed to stick some bedding compound to my action. What is the best way to remove this without scratching my action or worse?.....Rich
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bedding Compound Removal ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Well, after years of bedding rifles, I got in a little too much of a hurry and managed to stick some bedding compound to my action. What is the best way to remove this without scratching my action or worse?.....Rich

It happens to everyone. Try a wood tung depressor, I use them to mix the bedding compound
and if I get some on the action I use the tung depressor to scrape it off. the wood is tough but
wont scratch the action.

To help prevent this I normally coat the entire action with wax before bedding. I use the wax as
a release agent.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
It happens to everyone. Try a wood tung depressor, I use them to mix the bedding compound
and if I get some on the action I use the tung depressor to scrape it off. the wood is tough but
wont scratch the action.

To help prevent this I normally coat the entire action with wax before bedding. I use the wax as
a release agent.

J E CUSTOM
Hi Jerry......Nope, it's worse than that! The compound is set up.....Rich
Old 06-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

I use a wood dowel and tap it with a hammer to chip it of. A soft wire wheel in a dremel works very well also and leaves the finish alone.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I use a wood dowel and tap it with a hammer to chip it of. A soft wire wheel in a dremel works very well also and leaves the finish alone.
Maybe I'll try the dremel......Rich
Old 06-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Hi Jerry......Nope, it's worse than that! The compound is set up.....Rich
The last bolt action rifle I glass bedded was a Mauser brand rifle back in 1976. It had a nice wooden stock in caliber .222 Remington. Mostly used it to hunt red fox back in Michigan. The fore end of the stock never did release from the barrel. The butt and pistol grip separated from the barreled action thru the magazine box cutout, as I recall. Last I ever used that rifle. Took it to a gunsmith to get it restocked and his gun shop burnt down while my rifle was there. I concluded that this particular rifle and I were meant to part ways...

Last edited by phorwath; 06-19-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
The last bolt action rifle I glass bedded was a Mauser brand rifle back in 1976. It has a nice wooden stock in caliber .222 Remington. Mostly used it to hunt red fox back in Michigan. The fore end of the stock never did release from the barrel. The butt and pistol grip separated from the barreled action thru the magazine box cutout, as I recall. Last I ever used that rifle. Took it to a gunsmith to get it restocked and his gun shop burnt down while my rifle was there. I concluded that this particular rifle and I were meant to part ways...
That sounds like a "YOOPER" rifle Paul!