Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bedding compound choice!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

I use Devcon Steel Putty , its easier for me to get hold of than Marine Tex and it works very well , Doesen't run like the liquid does and has a very reasonable work time.
I have tried the Titanium and it works great but the work time is very short compairing to the Steel , I'll probably use it on my up comming 308 build just beacuise its the strongest stuff out their.

I also have reciently employed Chad's method of mixing my bedding compound by useing a 24"x24" piece of polished SS plate and using the "fold over" method , leaving the compound spread thin over the plate in a coold room make it take alot longer to setup and I get a much better more uniform mixture
Old 08-09-2008, 06:12 AM
Gold Member

If you really wanna get that stuff mixed, build a wooden box and put a light source in it.

A 100 bulb works well.

I just use sissors and cut the ends of the tubes off and dump them onto the glass. That stuff'll mix so nice when its warm. Just be sure to kill the heat as soon as your done mixing and get it spread out thin right away.

I can do it with titanium too, just gotta haul some major ass when you go. Like I said, be sure to have your duckies lined up if you try it.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Gold Member

The rest of the gun. . .

Here's a few more pics

Here's a sample of a floor metal inlet.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Silver Member

Re: The mystery holes. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesikaChad View Post
Guys, thanks first off. That's three years of fiddling to get it right.

I will admit to teasing the gullible sometimes by telling them its an experimental harmonics flux magnetometer device that makes the rifle do magical things like generate a magnetic field that dampens barrel harmonics with no physical contact.

Amazing what people will believe. . .

I love it...........I want one