Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bedding compound choice!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

Bedding compound choice!!

Just wondering what most of you use for bedding compound and release agent? I have used acraglas ,but hate the wait. I heard of using, marine tex, pc 7, jb weld and others. Just wanted to hear the pros and cons of each.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

I've used a bunch of different ones. I tried Devcon Plastic Steel putty this winter on 3 different rifles (used Imperial sizing wax as a release agent) and I have found the best! It stayed where I put it, filled void's well and hardened perfectly. It's a seriously hard/heavy bedding compound that has worked great for me.

MidwayUSA - Devcon Plastic Steel Putty 1 lb

MidwayUSA - Imperial Case Sizing Wax 2 oz

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Gold Member

I like Decon HVAC and if its a gun that'll see really severe duty I'll use Devcon Titanium.

the Titanium stuff is pricey and a bit more tricky to work with. Open clamp time is about 20 minutes if your shop is kept cool. That's all you get though so have your ducks in a row before you start mixing. In the end its worth it as this stuff can actually be tested on the Rockwell C scale for hardness. (18HRC) As most know, resin systems fall under the shore hardness scale normally.

Brutal tough if you know what your doing.

Good luck.

HVAC:

Titanium:

Last edited by NesikaChad; 08-06-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Gold Member

I have used Marine Tex on 8 rifles now and had no issues. I use Johnson floor wax as a release agent. Any Ace Hardware store can order Marine Tex in for you, usually cheaper than any where else because they do not charge shipping.

When putting the marine tex down in the recoil lug area, be sure to work it well with a tooth pick or popcicle stick to free any air pockets before inserting the rifle.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Chad

I use to think I did good looking bedding until I saw your work.

I now have a new standard !!!

"Beautiful work"

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Frank7mm, I use Brownell's Steelbed and Birchwood Casey Stock Wax hand rubbed on the metal until you can't see it. If the bedding compound has to be brown, I reluctantly use Brownell's Acraglas Gel.

Chad, I saw the same thing that I'll bet JE Custom saw. The bedding itself is not exceptional, It's the absolutely uniform thickness of the bedding along all visible edges and the flawless interior cleanup. I have never done a bedding job with prep and cleanup even close to these. Great pictures, new standard.

If "open clamp" time is the same as pot life, 20 minutes is way too fast for me. The Steelbed gives at least an hour before it even gets tacky, and I sometimes need it.

I've got to ask; what is the function of the rows of holes in the barrel channel of the HVAC bedded (rimfire?) stock? Damping?, complex preload? Very interesting.

Good hunting, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 08-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Gold Member

The mystery holes. . .

Guys, thanks first off. That's three years of fiddling to get it right.

As for the holes. this is my international Palma Gun in 308 used for 800, 900, and 1000 yard competitive shooting. (Iron Sights) Two years of work building this silly thing. Just fiddled with it when I was in the mood to work on a money pit.

One of my pet peeves on a target gun is the accessory rail. I HATE sliding a hand stop and having it hang up on the counter sink that the mounting screw registers in. So, on this gun I went the other way. I built my own rail from scratch, engraved a scale on it so I could remove the hand stop without worry of losing my spot, and then decided to machine the little aluminum sockets for the screws to register in so that the heads wouldn't eat the wood up. They are nothing more than screw holes for the accessory rail. Its just held in from the opposite side.

The other reason is I knew it would generate lots of comments from anyone who saw it and lets face it. For a guy building guns in a sea of other guys building guns, it pays to have a gimmick sometimes. (so long as its harmless and doesn't BS people)

I will admit to teasing the gullible sometimes by telling them its an experimental harmonics flux magnetometer device that makes the rifle do magical things like generate a magnetic field that dampens barrel harmonics with no physical contact.

Amazing what people will believe. . .