Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bedding compound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Bronze Member

Bedding compound

I was wondering the advantage of using a davcon over a JB weld from my local hardware store. I bought some JB weld that had a PSI rating of 5000 for a bolt handle conversion on a stock but when it was time to bed the rifle I ordered some davcon and when it showe up it had a PSI rating in the mid 2000's. Does this PSI rating refer to the hardness and if so would the JB weld I found be better to use for the bedding job.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Bedding compound

i was wondering the same thing, about other epoxys though. i ended up using an actual bedding material too, cant recall what it was offhand. i was just worried if i had used something else it might not have released the same etc. better to be safe than sorry. i did see on the interweb something about one of the guys using a compound that he got from some hvac place(probably just some industrial epoxy they had i imagine) but like i said i just went the safe route, looks better than i thought it woudl turn out lol alot of knowledgeable guys on here im sure one will chime in sooner or later
Old 08-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

I have used Devcon steel epoxy 24 hour cure on every bedding job and all my beds came out GREAT.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Marine Tex has one of the highest compressive strengths of all the bedding compounds (13,000) and is fairly economical. The only Devcon that is stronger is the titanium stuff (15,200) and it's pretty expensive to only exceed Marine Tex by such a small margin. Marine Tex used with aluminum pillars is a rock solid combination. It's all I use.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofdscooby View Post
I was wondering the advantage of using a davcon over a JB weld from my local hardware store. I bought some JB weld that had a PSI rating of 5000 for a bolt handle conversion on a stock but when it was time to bed the rifle I ordered some davcon and when it showe up it had a PSI rating in the mid 2000's. Does this PSI rating refer to the hardness and if so would the JB weld I found be better to use for the bedding job.

Hardness and ductility go together and there is a happy medium. I always recommend using a
compound that is specifically made for bedding.

The fact that something will work does not mean it,s best . It can be to hard and brittle, to soft and it will not last. Some compounds are very difficult to work with and with difficulty comes poor bedding jobs.

Buy something that is made for bedding firearms and easy to work and you wont be sorry. Leave the
multipurpose compounds for the experienced.

Just a recommendation.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Bronze Member

Well I ordered a two part Davcon from Midway it's a small amount just a couple ounces on the package there if pictures of household projects and crap. So Midway is selling the regular old household stuff as bedding compound or is any of the two parts capable and if so what's the minimum and maximum PSI you should use. I one I ordered said around 2500 PSI and some mentioned one that was 15000 but can be brittle.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Gold Member

Both McMillan and Manners use Marine Tex.