Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bedding a Bell and Carlson Medalist for Weatherby Mark V

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: Bedding a Bell and Carlson Medalist for Weatherby Mark V

I've used the medalist stocks on several of my own rifles in the past. Some I've bedded, a few I just bolted in and shot. They all shot very well either way, so I would just bolt it in and see how it shoots first.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandCass View Post
Just took a look at a new mark v with the b&c stock from the factory. I noticed that the barrel isn't floated and that the stock had the pressure points in the fore end. Guess I'm gonna try it out without floating the barrel and see what happens. I heard that the stocks are made to weatherby specs so maybe the weatherbys like the pressure on the barrel.
Yes, but still test fit it and see how the action fits into the stock. Obviously the one I got was "out of spec" but since I floated the barrel I didn't care. Just letting you know that there is no way I could have tightened that action into the stock without some serious problems.

FYI, Dad's 7mm Wby UltraLightweight shot an 11/16" 3 shot group at 200 yards last fall with factory ammo - and the barrel on that one is floated. It came in that configuration when we bought it.

If the rifle fits the stock well you won't hurt a thing by shooting it and see how well it works. You can always bed it or float it later. My personal 7mm shoots well in factory configuration.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 PM

Plan on bolting the barreled action in this weekend to see how it fits. Probably won't actually get to shoot it until my scope gets back from leupold for repairs (got some dust inside the lens...go figure). Hopefully, I'll be able to get out to the range and try it out then. In the meantime, I'm definitely going to check the fit before shooting. I'm hoping to be one of the lucky ones where everything actually cooperates!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Good luck!
Let us know how it goes. I'm considering buying another one, and I think my last one was a fluke with the QC.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice! Vette I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Happy shooting!!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Well I fit tested my barreled action today and I'm not too impressed with the fit...the action seems a little looser than I'd like. It fit really tight in the synthetic stock that I removed it from. The barrel also doesn't set in the stock like it did in the other. It sits a little higher. I'm assuming this is from the tips on the fore end. I didn't torque the action down, just snugged it. I was a little scared it might be too much pressure if I tightened it too much. Any suggestions on where I go from here?

Thanks,
Cass
Old 02-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

I would float the barrel and torque it in w/ 50 -60 inch lbs. Then go shoot. If it had a sloppy fit I would bed at least the recoil lug area and first heavy inch or two of barrel.