Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Bedding ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Bedding ?

picked up a rem model 7 300 saum it has the rem extreme stock on it. Needs a trigger tune up but so far with factory nosler partiions (165) shooting bout a 1 1/4 group. The barrel is not floated and thinking bout bedding it and floating it myself. Not sure if worth the effort or if i should leave it as is and work on some loads. Any thoughts.. thnx
Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bedding ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
picked up a rem model 7 300 saum it has the rem extreme stock on it. Needs a trigger tune up but so far with factory nosler partiions (165) shooting bout a 1 1/4 group. The barrel is not floated and thinking bout bedding it and floating it myself. Not sure if worth the effort or if i should leave it as is and work on some loads. Any thoughts.. thnx

Hi blacktail,

I don't know much about your Rem extreme stock but I would at the very least float the barrel and then work on some loads that would be a starting point. I would say that if you had a good load and then floated the barrel it would be a better load . Dad and I had a rifle that we couldn't get to shoot with ANY load so we floated the barrel only no bedding and the same rifle would shoot under an inch .

Just my .02 Good luck

BigBuck
Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bedding ?

I have rem 700 with the plastic stock. I bedded the action with acraglass, floated the barrel and epoxied an aluminum bar in to the forend. It is a 7mm mag and shoots 0.5-0.7 MOA at 100 yds.

If you are going to use a bipod you will probably need to stiffen the forend when you float the barrel.

If you are going to float the barrel you should bed the action at the same time. The factory pressure-point bed the action/barrel because the pressure point makes up for the poor factory bedding. Just floating the barrel, leaves the poor factory bedding and your groups may actually get worse.

Stu.