Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

bedding

Hello , I have a new can of bondo brand liquid fiberglass resin ,I was going to use for the top of my reloading bench but I got to thinking could I use this stuff for rifle bedding ? Any info would help ..thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Gold Member

Re: bedding

Any info ??
Old 02-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

The stuff I bought had two parts to it, resin and fiber. I dint think it matters really what you use fiberglass wise, but I'm no expert. The thing I would make sure you do is coat all the metal parts with something to prevent the bedding from adhering to the action and barrel.

I've done two. One I put pillar beds in, the other I just redid the bedding. Both were rather easy and a lot of fun.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
The stuff I bought had two parts to it, resin and fiber. I dint think it matters really what you use fiberglass wise, but I'm no expert. The thing I would make sure you do is coat all the metal parts with something to prevent the bedding from adhering to the action and barrel.

I've done two. One I put pillar beds in, the other I just redid the bedding. Both were rather easy and a lot of fun.
Thank you Marble!!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb85 View Post
Hello , I have a new can of bondo brand liquid fiberglass resin ,I was going to use for the top of my reloading bench but I got to thinking could I use this stuff for rifle bedding ? Any info would help ..thanks
I personally don't recommend using anything that was not made for bedding.

Some products have solvents that will dissolve release agents gluing the action to the stock.

Also bedding is designed to have compressive strength and toughness. products that are
designed for sanding and bonding are not as tough or have the compressive strength.

Just a recommendation.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I personally don't recommend using anything that was not made for bedding.

Some products have solvents that will dissolve release agents gluing the action to the stock.

Also bedding is designed to have compressive strength and toughness. products that are
designed for sanding and bonding are not as tough or have the compressive strength.

Just a recommendation.

J E CUSTOM
That's a good point !!! Thank you!! I will just have to refill my Devcon supply..
Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Silver Member

Almost any epoxy will have a compressive strength of about 20 kpsi.

While the strength is the same, there are variations in viscosity and working time.

I have used all kinds of epoxies for rifles, and I have settled on Devcon steel putty. With it, I do not have to fight time nor gravity.

The most important things are that:
1) the epoxy and catalyst are warm enough at the time they are mixed
2) the epoxy and catalyst are still good so they will still go off. If they are a couple years old, test first.
3) be ready before mixing. I do a dry run where I practice the process without the epoxy.